JR? Opinion on '47 Packard Clipper

-

FISHBREATH

Reaction score
JR (or anybody) what is your opinion of the 1947 Packard Clipper? I have the opportunity to buy one that was found in a garage and is in primer. The owner is getting married and needs the money, so he needs to sell it. It is supposed to be complete and he was in the process of restoring it. I will take a look at it if you guys think it might be promising.

Depends on what you would be doing with it, how much they want for it, how hard it will be for you to find parts (good luck) how wet and sticky the car makes you and what condition it is in right now. There is nothing currently on Hemmings.com, Collectorcartrader.com or Ebay but here is what I found from google.

Here is a project for $6500

http://www.collectorcarsforsale.com/classic-cars-for-sale/l2518.html

Stock resto for 25k obo

http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/651025.html

There was a mild custom (350/350 running gear) for 20k obo.

So that kinda gives you a ballpark figure. Project below 8k, done and running 18-23k I'm sure I could come up with some better figures but that was just a fast search.

If it isn't a total pile and you can get it for a few grand with clear paperwork and you would be willing to drop the money and time into a car that has a "niche" market and may take a while to find that right person who is willing to pay for it. If your in it for resale, spend your money on something else like a ford or chevy something that you can find a buyer for easier. If your in it for the love of an ugly grill( :bootysha: never liked them myself :-D ) and you are going to keep it for a long time then go for it.

Wouldn't hurt to go look at it and post some cool pics even if your not interested.

Thanks for the input, JR. The girl works with my wife and I will ask to take some pictures of it and then post them here. I now have a good idea what to expect for a realistic price (thanks).

I have never driven a car that old, so I have no idea what to expect for handling and power. I have, however, driven a Rambler American, so I know how bad a car can be (no power brakes, no power steering, no power). I'll try to get a peek at it ASAP.

I have never driven a car that old, so I have no idea what to expect for handling and power.

lol Try driving a bone stock 50 dodge with a flathead 6, manual on the column and 1 1/2 turns of play in the steering before it even starts to turn!

-
Back