Just a mental exercise

-

Dartnewbie

Former Dart owner
Reaction score
I am working on a console design for my car. It will have a cup holder area, a place for 3 gauges, and hide an aftermarket radio. Now to over engineer this concept, I would like to operate this electrically to raise and lower the part that contains the radio. This way I can enjoy the radio while driving and then lower it to hide it during a show so only the factory radio is seen. The gauge pod will be mounted above the hidden radio section and raise with the radio. When the radio is lowered, it simply looks like a cup holder and a gauge pod console setup. So based on this idea, I need a way to raise and lower something about 4 inches. Think of it as a hinged lid that will be raised in the front with the hinge on the back edge. Trying to get my head around the mechanics of doing this. Any ideas? Ideally I would like to hit a button, have it raise and stop on it's own, and then lower by another button press. Limit switches for both up and down are no problem. Like I said, over engineered idea. I could just lift it by hand but we all know that is too boring. So anyone who has an idea on how to raise and lower the lid please chime in.

There are all kinds of electromechanical gizmos available out there. Servos, screw jacks, hydraulics, etc. Draw some engineering diagrams and determine where you want everything to be at certain stages of movement. Then look around for appropriate electromechanical devices. You might need to fabricate some levers to increase or decrease motion ranges. Start with accurate drawings.

How about incorporating a hidden headlight motor?

Or an electric window motor?

Either way, if you get them from a wrecker, you can get the switches with them, and then just figure out the necessary wiring.

-
Back