Just A Thought - Shorty Headers

-

Thrashard340

Reaction score
I'm just throwing this out there to see if it garners any interest. There seems to have been some talk in the past about the lack of affordable shorty headers in the marketplace for A-bodies. I am about to forgo an experiment to design a header that will fit 70-76 A's with small block and power steering. The reason I choose these years is because I have a 73 Duster, small block, PS, console AT.

I do not have unlimited resources but plan on spending a considerable amount of money for the pilot set to get it right. I plan on taking some measurements and working with a local header company to help design a set. But I have never done this before so I am open to suggestions that will make this task more efficient. I have a background in sales, not engineering. I am looking to design something close to Hedman's shorty but with better fit near the K-member.

Has anyone done this before?

Do any members run or work for an exhaust header company?

Besides thick flanges and being able to clear steering gear. what other features would you like to see?

Would anyone consider paying $200-$300 dollars for a basic set? Given this is the average price of an off make shorty header in the current market.

Given my pilot set would cost nowhere near $200-$300, I would eventually plan on taking this to market. Obviously, shorties will not flow as well as full length headers, but I am trying to offer something in between full headers and manifolds with easier install at a reasonable cost. :headbang:

What do you think?

I think it would be a GREAT Idea. I REFUSE to pay the kind of money TTI wants for their headers...even though they fit the best its highway ROBBERY IMO. So yes something that actually fit EXCEPT manifolds would be greatly appreciated.

If you are going to go through the trouble why not design long tube headers?

As a rule the shorter the header tube length the higher up in the rpm range they provide power. In a street application a shorty is likely no better than manifolds. And in a race application the broad power band of a long tube will out way the small improvement in top end power you get from the shorter tube lenght.

dgc333 said:
If you are going to go through the trouble why not design long tube headers?

As a rule the shorter the header tube length the higher up in the rpm range they provide power. In a street application a shorty is likely no better than manifolds. And in a race application the broad power band of a long tube will out way the small improvement in top end power you get from the shorter tube lenght.

Because plenty of aftermarket options already exist for long tubes and I don't think I can improve $ to performance.

As for power, you make a good point. But then I have to ask, why is there such a large aftermarket for shorties for other makes, Chevy, GMC trucks, Dodge trucks, Dakota, 5.0 Mustangs, late model Camaros etc.? Most of these applications are designated for street use as well. Shorty header manufacturers such as JBA, Doug Thorley, among many others claim theirs make more HP and torque than stock manifolds.

All the late model shorties you see are offered because of emissions certification requirements. These headers directly replace the manifold without disturbing the rest of the exhuast system so they only have to certify the header and not the other pipes or cat.

Oh the manufactures can usually find some more power with them put it's in the single digit gains. In the case of the Dodge 5.2 and 5.9 trucks it in the 4 or 5 HP range, hardly worth the $400/$500 they get for them.

Hedman, is already making shorty headers that fit 67-76 Abody.

These will not work on Early Abody.

Summit has them in stock.

HED-78500

$236.69
Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HED-78500&N=400143+115&autoview=sku

hed-78500.jpg

DCG333, I am not looking for monster gains. The idea is to bridge the gap between long headers and manifolds in the $200-$300 dollar range with ease of installation. It cost me about $300 to buy a set of JBA shorties for my 95 Dakota V8. I wouldn't pay $400-$500 neither. So if it were to bolt up to the stock exhaust this would be a good feature for you?

Cavemanmoron, the problem with the Hedman's is that the drivers side collector dumps right over the k-member. It does not leave room for a smooth bend from the exhaust pipe. There was another reader a while back that posted a picture of it. It looked quite restrictive. The Hedman is a good starting point but I think it can be improved upon.

I have the Schumachers on my big block duster (72). I love them. They go on easily, probably easier than any header made for any mopar. I'm sure that I'm giving up some hp to the tti's and hookers, but I have ground clearance like manifolds. My schu's have a 2.5 outlet, it would be nice if they had a mandrel bent piece from the headers that ended parallel to the floorpan. By the way I paid $500 for them. There is a market if the install is easier. I've put headers on SB abodies before and it isn't fun.

don

What about a mid lenght type header. Not a long tube, but not quite a shorty. Similar to the tri-Y design. Makes everyone happy :)

Just make sure, no matter if long or short that you can change spark plugs without taking off the drivers side header!

Hedman, is already making shorty headers that fit 67-76 Abody.

These will not work on Early Abody.

Summit has them in stock.

HED-78500

$236.69
Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow

I thought there was a big discussion on these and someone said they dumped on one of the sides right into something thats in the was mabey steering or something? I would like to get more info on these if ANYONE has a set that actually FITS a 73 A Body..and NO im not giving up my Power Steering :)

Thrashard340 said:
Thanks for researching this Cavemanmoron. Post #8 on your link was what I was referring to.

your welcome, sorry I forgot,
it was over a month ago, that this was discussed previously;
in the other thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=5634&highlight=hedmans

Not A Duster said:
They do not fit well as they dump directly over the steering linkage with only a couple inches clearance, causing some extreme bends in the collector, making the damn things so restrictive I should have just left the 318 manifolds on. On top of that the exhaust shop had to severly ding the pipe so it wouldn't get hung up on the steering.

I dunno if these things fit better in other cars, like E or B bodies, but they sure were not made for an A body. I am not at all happy with my purchase.

If they would fit my 73 scamp with PS, PB 360/727 with out unbolting the motor and lifting it, and I could change my plugs without unbolting the header I would buy a set for 200-300 bucks.
I run 3 inch sidepipes on my car and I have been looking for a set of shorties for a while now but every set I have found (like he ones summit sells) dont fit or cost way too much.

-
Back