Just an F.Y.I. If you ever had a bulge in a tire.......

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
and wondered why it did that. Well, I bought a set of rims with rubber a couple years back. They were all good but one. It had a bulge. It was no worry to me, I bought them for the rims. I proceeded to put them away with the masses. So they have been in my storage shed for a couple years. Today I decided to dig around and see what rims I have that would fit things. Well, I found this! This is a BFG Radial TA. It is literally separated at the seams. And believe it or not, it still is holding full pressure! If you see a bulge and wonder why it did that and if it's bad.........it's really bad!

IMG_6742[1].JPG
IMG_6743[1].JPG
IMG_6744[1].JPG

When air gets between the case and tread. I've had the same thing happen in storage. NEVER run a tire with a bulge on the road.

I never looked at that, but they likely were when I got them. Let alone now, a couple or few years later.

I have this 94 Volvo Wagon with three hundred and something thousand miles on it that I like to drive out of town a lot... and I throw used tires on it, did for many years....
Every 3rd tire would bubble and give the car a wobble or pull to one side.
Needless to say you never know which direction they were originally spinning to put them on your car the same way so that they do not delaminate or separate Etc.... that n how LONG they've been sitting in the sun for how many years and if it's just Tire dressing that's filling in the cracks

Had a co-worker this year add air to his boat tires.
One of the tires exploded in his face, the tires were only one year old, but some off-shore brand.
His lip and cheek did not look good for a week or so.
He said he seen no indication of any damage before the tire came apart, and was glad he was wearing his company issued safety glasses, so his eyes were not damaged.
I asked him why he was wearing safety glasses, he said habit from work, he is a fabricator at the company wears them all day long at work, so he feels naked without them.

I have this 94 Volvo Wagon with three hundred and something thousand miles on it that I like to drive out of town a lot... and I throw used tires on it, did for many years....
Needless to say you never know which direction they were originally spinning to put them on your car the same way so that they do not delaminate or separate Etc.... that n how LONG they've been sitting in the sun for how many years and if it's just Tire dressing that's filling in the cracks

You can feel the tread of a tire and determine which way it was spinning, run your hand over the tread, when tread catches your fingers, point the tire in that direction, an old tire guy showed me that years ago.

Who still believes this? Maybe when radials first came out i could understand that it was caused by the new technology with limited radial knowledge and a issue with tire construction more so than turning them to soin the other direction. I have rotated tires on my truck every 3k miles for the last 10 years approx 80k miles and always bring the rear straight forward and cross the front to the rear. Never had a issue. It will not hurt to change the spinning direction of the tire so long as they are not directional.

Most tire issues are either improper inflation or aged related. Granted there are some with factory defects. Dont you think if tires were only made to travel in one direction they would all be directional? Not insulting anyone by any means, just my take on the issue, have been installing tires for about 10 years and have never had a issue with rotating them and changing travel direction

You can feel the tread of a tire and determine which way it was spinning, run your hand over the tread, when tread catches your fingers, point the tire in that direction, an old tire guy showed me that years ago.

Yep thatll do it, that high point can also cause tires to roar. Unless they have come off of a vehicle that has had them rotated every 3k miles, then it gets hard to tell

Who still believes this? Maybe when radials first came out i could understand that it was caused by the new technology with limited radial knowledge and a issue with tire construction more so than turning them to soin the other direction. I have rotated tires on my truck every 3k miles for the last 10 years approx 80k miles and always bring the rear straight forward and cross the front to the rear. Never had a issue. It will not hurt to change the spinning direction of the tire so long as they are not directional.

Most tire issues are either improper inflation or aged related. Granted there are some with factory defects. Dont you think if tires were only made to travel in one direction they would all be directional? Not insulting anyone by any means, just my take on the issue, have been installing tires for about 10 years and have never had a issue with rotating them and changing travel direction
I rotate the tires on my 2500 CTD the same way. Every 5K miles. Just ck first with the tire manufacture first. I had Dunlops that eventually all separated on the same truck.

Back in the 70s in my high school days I worked at a Motocross track on sundays and needed some tires . Found a set of michelins painted white on one side. drug em home and put on my car just turned the painted side in. Gotta do what you gotta do. At 16. lol

Anyone with any real experience in tire work still believes it. None of the shops around here will cross sides with tires......unless they come up with a radial pull and usually that means there's something wrong with that tire.

we cross rotated tires all the time at the dealer. never had a problem. do it on my cars at home without issue. I think a lot of the tire issues are caused by people driving on under or over inflated tires.

we cross rotated tires all the time at the dealer. never had a problem. do it on my cars at home without issue. I think a lot of the tire issues are caused by people driving on under or over inflated tires.
Well that would be everyone , discount for instance always under inflated the tires.
I think its 32 lbs they put in a 51 max, I set a 51 lb to 41lbs. I inflate accordingly when it comes to trucks and load..

Anyone with any real experience in tire work still believes it. None of the shops around here will cross sides with tires......unless they come up with a radial pull and usually that means there's something wrong with that tire.

Why believe something that isnt true? Like walking under a ladder gives you bad luck.

How come left hand thread lugs arent made anymore? Because it doesnt matter that the left side rotates the opposite direction of the threads. I mean really, dont you think tire manufacturers would say not to change the direction of rotation?

They probably dont rotate them except front to back because they know by not turning them around has a greater chance of the tires wearing out quicker thus selling more tires. I rotate tires how i see fit, most of the time its bringing the rear to the front and crossing the front to the rear. If a customer requests a specific rotate pattern i am more than happy to do it the way they want.

Also on ford duallys with the alcoa rims how else can you rotate them but side to side without demounting and remounting 4 tires. The rims are polished only on one side.

But what do i know i guess 10 years isnt any worthy experience even though ive touched more tires than most people have seen

They probably dont rotate them except front to back because they know by not turning them around has a greater chance of the tires wearing out quicker thus selling more tires. I rotate tires how i see fit, most of the time its bringing the rear to the front and crossing the front to the rear. If a customer requests a specific rotate pattern i am more than happy to do it the way they want.

Also on ford duallys with the alcoa rims how else can you rotate them but side to side without demounting and remounting 4 tires. The rims are polished only on one side.

But what do i know i guess 10 years isnt any worthy experience even though ive touched more tires than most people have seen

Turning a tire from one direction of rotation to another has zero to do with how it will wear. Not one thing. If you've touched more tires than most people have ever seen, you've certainly missed more than your fair share to learn anything.

Why believe something that isnt true? Like walking under a ladder gives you bad luck.

How come left hand thread lugs arent made anymore? Because it doesnt matter that the left side rotates the opposite direction of the threads. I mean really, dont you think tire manufacturers would say not to change the direction of rotation?

Firestone/Bridgestone has recommended not changing sides with tires as long as I can remember.

Turning a tire from one direction of rotation to another has zero to do with how it will wear. Not one thing. If you've touched more tires than most people have ever seen, you've certainly missed more than your fair share to learn anything.

Just because our opinions differ doesnt mean you have to throw insults, i already stated i wasnt tryingbto insult anyone and that it was my opinion on the matter, you show me where changing direction of rotation doesnt help with wear. If a tire starts to chop the front edge is higher than the rear edge of the tread block in front of it, so if you turn that tire around, it will help cut the roar down and will also help the tire wear back even. Not all tires need to be crossed. I do still rotate some front to back. But the main question here was does changing direction cause a tire to seperate, a good quality tire should not seperate by just changing directions, maybe a cheap inferior tire could. Im just going off of experience. But i guess experience or opinion isnt valued anymore.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on the matter, no hard feelings on my end.

Last edited:
My reason for crossing the front to the rear is the front tires from turning tend to round off the outer edge. If I move the rears straight forward and crossing the front to the rear, makes them wear evenly. Last set of Bridgestone ATV REVO II I got 88k Miles out of, the set before 92K. This is on a 2007 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4.

-
Back