Just as slow as before mods..

-
I'm saving my pennies for a set of Mopar Performance valve covers and air filter like youhave. Love the look of those!

Makes sense now. Everything done to the car was recommended by the classic car performance shop that had many hot rod cars in the shop and great reviews.
Start with the tune. The rest I mentioned is to be determined in regards to its place in the combination.
Is it a a500 or 518/46re?
The 500 was like a 904 w/od.

Come on people the rear end is eating power
1 he got hosed
2 he got hosed not being involved
3 the car needs to be tuned aka timmng carb check for full throttle do a comp test
4 318 heads hurt a cam change the heads blow
5 get the car tuned and go from there
6 get involved yourself
7 the Dana 60 might cost him 1/10th
8 the 3.73s helped you 3/10s
9 the dana is not the issue

I'm saving my pennies for a set of Mopar Performance valve covers and air filter like youhave. Love the look of those!
I tried saving pennies for years and then I had a wonderful profitable two years of work a few years ago and went for it. Spent savings assuming the economy was going to continue great, then Covid and the **** storm we have now. Now, back to zero again. Two steps forward, 5 back.

I spent a wad of cash when I built my Magnum engine about 4 years ago ($5k - $6K). I work hard and thought, screw it I want to build an engine!!! It was my first time building an engine from the short block up (had a machine shop hot tank the block, polish the crank, hone the bores and install new rings and bearings). Then I took it from there with advice from FABO members.

I don't regret it...especially when I hear the engine roar!!! Drove it to the post office today, then took the long way home!!

Damn, that's one sweet ride! Hopefully you can get some help to get it running right and at least fry the tires a couple times before you sell it.
I can definitely relate on the financial situation, lost a small fortune over the last two or three years, still working full time, wife is no longer able to work, so we have taken a significant drop in income too.
Sucks.

Mate don't give up!
You have a great looking car, nothing wrong with the body, paintwork, interior, wheels, tires etc. It runs and drives, you can still cruise around while you get this final part sorted.
Work with the people on here, the hard stuff is already all done, making it go fast should be easy, even if it's done a step at a time over the next year or so.

Yes beautiful car now take ownership and fix it yourself right
people will help you
its not hard

Damn, that's one sweet ride! Hopefully you can get some help to get it running right and at least fry the tires a couple times before you sell it.
I can definitely relate on the financial situation, lost a small fortune over the last two or three years, still working full time, wife is no longer able to work, so we have taken a significant drop in income too.
Sucks.
Why I'm selling. Gotta the bills.
Mate don't give up!
You have a great looking car, nothing wrong with the body, paintwork, interior, wheels, tires etc. It runs and drives, you can still cruise around while you get this final part sorted.
Work with the people on here, the hard stuff is already all done, making it go fast should be easy, even if it's done a step at a time over the next year or so.

If business picks up significantly in the next few days, I'll hang on to her and come back for help from you guys, starting with the gas tank. Thanks

I only know what the shop claims. If you read some other posts, I think I mentioned the shop went out of business, so after i picked up the car and had complaints, they werent taking calls anymore.
Steve, please understand we're not beatin on you here. Most of us don't sugar coat stuff....that would be an injustice to you. If you're up for it and want to try a few things, we can help. I JUST BET between camshaft timing and ignition timing and ignition curve, we could help you turn that thing into a different car.

1 he got hosed
3 the car needs to be tuned aka timmng carb check for full throttle do a comp test
6 get involved yourself
I agree, but that's not the worst of it by a long shot.

I spent a wad of cash when I built my Magnum engine about 4 years ago ($5k - $6K). I work hard and thought, screw it I want to build an engine!!! It was my first time building an engine from the short block up (had a machine shop hot tank the block, polish the crank, hone the bores and install new rings and bearings). Then I took it from there with advice from FABO members.

I don't regret it...especially when I hear the engine roar!!! Drove it to the post office today, then took the long way home!!
You still likin that converter?

I agree, but that's not the worst of it by a long shot.

1 he got hosed
6 get involved yourself
What heads would you recommend?

Last edited:
Yup! Lol.

I was very hesitant to go way down to a 9.5, roughly 3600 rpm. Woke that engine right up!! Glad I took your recommendation. One day we'll get together and you can give it a try!!
I bet it will slap get with it!

What heads would you recommend?
heads would be the least thing on my mind for where you're currently at!

you have a very mild cam, a pretty standard intake and a small carb. basically you have stock induction for all intents and purposes. whatever heads you have on there are more than adequate to support those components and are fine for time being.

get the set up dialed in before you start throwing parts at a problem that you don't know the root cause of.

heads would be the least thing on my mind for where you're currently at!

you have a very mild cam, a pretty standard intake and a small carb. basically you have stock induction for all intents and purposes. whatever heads you have on there are more than adequate to support those components and are fine for time being.

get the set up dialed in before you start throwing parts at a problem that you don't know the root cause of.
Completely agree. Get the combo figured out first then decide what to do from there

I bought this Demon with 318 stock everything, 3 spd tranny and weak rear end. I invested over 24K in upgrades and it still drives the same. Tires won't even chirp at takeoff. Would an MSD ignition significantly increase power? What's missing in the recipe?

Upgrades below:
Rebuilt V8 318 engine and heads/valves w New 4 barrel AVS2 carburetor, New performance cam, New aluminum performance intake manifold, TTI stainless headers/exhaust, New high amp performance alternator, New performance aluminum radiator w dual fans, New gas tank w high pressure pump, New 3sp w OD tranny, New Dana 60 rear end w 3.73 gears w trac loc

BTW, I'm not a wrench head anymore and don't have a garage with snap-on tools, lift, or even a spanner wrench. Thanks fellas
My standard reply to a friend, who is always looking to "fix, or improve" something, no matter who does the work, then is terribly disappointed: "You should have F&$@?! left it alone!

My standard reply to a friend, who is always looking to "fix, or improve" something, no matter who does the work, then is terribly disappointed: "You should have F&$@?! left it alone!
I F&@$ tell myself that all the time. Infact, I should have not bought it, cuz it didnt have much power with it's stock everything, but I was so captivated by its great condition and rarity of the car. I had never seen a car like this anywhere and my little head took over the big one. I'm not a Chevy guy or a Ford guy or a Dodge guy. Just a guy who likes cars.

I would ask what are your expectation of the 318? Are you expecting it to be a stump puller and at low RPM stomp it and have it pin you to the seat? I have built two 318s and one 360 for my cars focusing on low end torque and midrange with 2.32 and 2.91 gears and stock 1800 RPM torque converters. The 318 with the stock heads, stock 70's compression and 2.91 gears does not feel like hot rod anywhere. The 318 with Toth heads and 9.5:1 compression will keep pulling way past where the stock head one has as clear roll off in power at higher RPM again with 2.91 gears. Does it feel like a hot rod? More than the stock one at higher RPM but for low RPM not really. The 360 with Edelbrock heads (Bruce could not get his heads for a while), 9:1 compression and 3.23 gears starts to feel like a hot rod once you get it wound up some and does clearly make more power at lower RPM but nothing earth shattering. My opinion the way a 318/340/360 feels like a hotrod its you have to do things to get higher RPM power (cam and heads) and then keep the engine in that power band (gear ratio, high stall converter). They don't have +500 ft lbs of torque at 2000 RPM like a big block. There is a lot to be said about the saying "There is no replacement for displacement" if you are wanting it to spin the tires anywhere in the power band.

Last edited:
-
Back