Just as slow as before mods..

-
I mean it's hard to tell from pictures but the paint Body and interior on that car just look immaculate! Whoever did some of that other stuff, ought be shot.
I'm tempted to name the shop for fking me over like that, but I run a very small business and think it might be bad luck to.. They did a good job in the beginning, but then Covid hit and I think they got sloppy in the end to get paid and get the car out the door. I took them the car right before Covid and appeared to be dong good work in the beginning. I think one of the crew died too. It wasn't some run of the mill shop. It was a large shop that only worked on rods. My car stayed inside the shop till after Covid, then they went back to work on it. Car was there for over a year. They lost some mechanics and worked on a skeleton crew after Covid. I think they lost a lot of money bc of the CHINESE virus and my car and my wallet took the brunt of it.

I bought this Demon with 318 stock everything, 3 spd tranny and weak rear end. I invested over 24K in upgrades and it still drives the same. Tires won't even chirp at takeoff. Would an MSD ignition significantly increase power? What's missing in the recipe?

Upgrades below:
Rebuilt V8 318 engine and heads/valves w New 4 barrel AVS2 carburetor, New performance cam, New aluminum performance intake manifold, TTI stainless headers/exhaust, New high amp performance alternator, New performance aluminum radiator w dual fans, New gas tank w high pressure pump, New 3sp w OD tranny, New Dana 60 rear end w 3.73 gears w trac loc

BTW, I'm not a wrench head anymore and don't have a garage with snap-on tools, lift, or even a spanner wrench. Thanks fellas
I decided to go back and re read the original post, just to see if I missed something, what I conclude is that for a mild 318, the rest of the car is extreme overkill, an overdrive trans is fine, that's a good upgrade, but a high pressure fuel system and a Dana 60, full TTi exhaust, etc is just way more than what you really needed for a 318. I hate the idea that someone has taken advantage of your lack of knowledge and or experience when all you were looking for was a reliable fun car to drive, let's be honest, you got screwed by a shop that was only out for your money, like many others before you, and unfortunately, there will be plenty of others still.
It can be argued that the upgrades made were necessary, but still overkill. Factory hemi and 440+6 cars only came with a Dana when a 4 speed was optioned, otherwise an 8 3/4 was factory installed. An 8 1/4 would likely be enough for your application even. Mechanical fuel pumps are plenty adequate for even multiple carburetors, just my .02, and I am truly sorry that you have been put into this situation by unscrupulous people.

I decided to go back and re read the original post, just to see if I missed something, what I conclude is that for a mild 318, the rest of the car is extreme overkill, an overdrive trans is fine, that's a good upgrade, but a high pressure fuel system and a Dana 60, full TTi exhaust, etc is just way more than what you really needed for a 318. I hate the idea that someone has taken advantage of your lack of knowledge and or experience when all you were looking for was a reliable fun car to drive, let's be honest, you got screwed by a shop that was only out for your money, like many others before you, and unfortunately, there will be plenty of others still.
It can be argued that the upgrades made were necessary, but still overkill. Factory hemi and 440+6 cars only came with a Dana when a 4 speed was optioned, otherwise an 8 3/4 was factory installed. An 8 1/4 would likely be enough for your application even. Mechanical fuel pumps are plenty adequate for even multiple carburetors, just my .02, and I am truly sorry that you have been put into this situation by unscrupulous people.
The TTI exhaust already came with the car. If you see the original pics from way back 3 years, the same exhaust. It also may have been me that wanted that Dana in case I put a beefier engine. I also was recommended the bigger radiator too, cuz I wanted A/C later. You think I need a serpentine belt system?

I'm tempted to name the shop for fking me over like that, but I run a very small business and think it might be bad luck to.. They did a good job in the beginning, but then Covid hit and I think they got sloppy in the end to get paid and get the car out the door. I took them the car right before Covid and appeared to be dong good work in the beginning. I think one of the crew died too. It wasn't some run of the mill shop. It was a large shop that only worked on rods. My car stayed inside the shop till after Covid, then they went back to work on it. Car was there for over a year. They lost some mechanics and worked on a skeleton crew after Covid. I think they lost a lot of money bc of the CHINESE virus and my car and my wallet took the brunt of it.
Man, that SUCKS, and PS, they SCREWED US ALL, some people are just too stupid to realize it yet! I run a small business myself, and I'm actually thinking about going to work for someone else. I've still got all my tools and equipment ( a lifetime of knowledge and experience) But I may have to, just to make it, after losing my home, because I Could Not work. It's actually still bugging me man, I'm dealing with a bunch of BS on that end now ( I'm not liking none of it, takes me to Anger and depression) I've actually gotten better after dealing with my bout of double pneumonia and almost dying (funny, the 2xP popped in Direcrly after having covid) So basically I can relate to what you're saying. There are guys here (several core members that will bend over backwards to help you) diagnose anything they can over this damn phone or computer. And a lot, and I Mean, a LOT of good people on here man, and they're highly knowledgeable and skilled. All they need to see is a little effort on your part( looks like you're trying right now that's a good thing) Id go out and get a socket set,and some wrenches though, Doggone it! It sucks that shop ripped you off, but by getting more mentally and Hands-On intimate with your Mopar you'll find y'all have a much better relationship, my Brother! I mean you and the car not the guys here, lol. But the more tips they give you,and when you start with these Basics, the further they'll go out of their way to help you dig to the bottom of this. I had a 71 demon slant 6 back in the early '90s man I should have never got rid of that car along with a bunch of other ones I had, including my Coronet but I don't even want to get into all that. It may not be a hobby for you now but it could become one you don't need to have $150,000 worth of crap to work on a car you just got to have a little Drive

Last edited:
I get that part, planning ahead is fine, but unless you were intent on a full on 1000 hp mill, it wasn't really necessary. again my .02.
That 8 3/4s a pretty tough mother. I've only broke one and that was in a stick car with a Big Block, and God knows the age of it. And I really can't say " I broke it" because I was just tooling down the road, and all of a sudden ring and pinion locked up. Kind of hilarious, a state trooper drove by his with his wife, telling us to push it and he's got two long-haired kids looking at him shaking his head their heads "NO" Sure Grip, with Sticky Mickys... lol

Stock rebuild with a cam, intake and carb does not yield numbers. Sound good, yes. Tire shredding, no. 24k for a rebuilt 318 and a dana? You got shafted. They'll get you for another 24k if you let them.

Man, that SUCKS, and PS, they SCREWED US ALL, some people are just too stupid to realize it yet! I run a small business myself, and I'm actually thinking about going to work for someone else. I've still got all my tools and equipment ( a lifetime of knowledge and experience) But I may have to, just to make it, after losing my home, because I Could Not work. It's actually still bugging me man, I'm dealing with a bunch of BS on that end now ( I'm not liking none of it, takes me to Anger and depression) I've actually gotten better after dealing with my bout of double pneumonia and almost dying (funny, the 2xP popped in Direcrly after having covid) So basically I can relate to what you're saying. There are guys here (several core members that will bend over backwards to help you) diagnose anything they can over this damn phone or computer. And a lot, and I Mean, a LOT of good people on here man, and they're highly knowledgeable and skilled. All they need to see is a little effort on your part( looks like you're trying right now that's a good thing) Id go out and get a socket set,and some wrenches though, Doggone it! It sucks that shop ripped you off, but by getting more mentally and Hands-On intimate with your Mopar you'll find y'all have a much better relationship, my Brother! I mean you and the car not the guys here, lol. But the more tips they give you,and when you start with these Basics, the further they'll go out of their way to help you dig to the bottom of this. I had a 71 demon slant 6 back in the early '90s man I should have never got rid of that car along with a bunch of other ones I had, including my Coronet but I don't even want to get into all that. It may not be a hobby for you now but it could become one you don't need to have $150,000 worth of crap to work on a car you just got to have a little Drive
I have a socket set, but need more sockets and extension. I literally don't have money to buy any more tools even the chap ones. We havent had any business in weeks. I have been selling lots of **** to pay bills. I pray this week will bring some business, but the cocksuking president does everything to kill the economy.

I have a socket set, but need more sockets and extension. I literally don't have money to buy any more tools even the chap ones. We havent had any business in weeks. I have been selling lots of **** to pay bills. I pray this week will bring some business, but the cocksuking president does everything to kill the economy.
I come close to selling one of my Gibson guitars man, and I've actually had to get loans on some other items. I know where you're coming from man and you're right, that lower than crap Bastard is the biggest piece of **** Traitor New World Order con scumbag there ever was. I was actually kicking *** in 20 and 21 even through covid, he got in office, and my work dried right up ( everything I did was word of mouth, I don't advertise, maybe I should, but I can't afford too now then I got sick and the rest is history (and if that MFr, actually Daughter Fr and all his kahoots from all these "other places" , have their Way, WE Will Be!

I come close to selling one of my Gibson guitars man, and I've actually had to get loans on some other items. I know where you're coming from man and you're right, that lower than crap Bastard is the biggest piece of **** Traitor New World Order con scumbag there ever was. I was actually kicking *** in 20 and 21 even through covid, he got in office, and my work dried right up ( everything I did was word of mouth, I don't advertise, maybe I should, but I can't afford too now then I got sick and the rest is history (and if that MFr, actually Daughter Fr and all his kahoots from all these "other places" , have their Way, WE Will Be!
Good ranting session and all true about that POS. But just not him. The entire party. 2016-2021 Were the best years in 20 for me. Amd i bought the Demon on 20 i think ciz times were great.

Also we need to keep our opinions even though we're entitled to him at a very very tall Roar on these types of things (hopefully the mod will delete a post if it offends them)but we don't want the entire Zthreat to get **** canned or banished to news and politics
Good ranting session and all true about that POS. But just not him. The entire party. 2016-2021 Were the best years in 20 for me. Amd i bought the Demon on 20 i think ciz times were great.
I totally agree I could blink and make 900 bucks in a day and a half without even trying. And I was 2 to 4 weeks booked Always, bought my duster in 20 as well! Of rather remind gave me a heck of a deal on her she is Rust free , basically and came with a 12 year old paint job. I did go through the entire car, rebuilding the rear suspension bushings, the entire front end, the fuel system, R&R motor, transmission, center chunk, adding the stripes to go with and building a fresh air induction system on it along with redoing parts of the interior. A friend of mine just sold a 66 Galaxie with a 460 in it( it was a damn strong car, he actually scared me a Lil in his Ford) BUT, the minute he got in my Duster with me and I barely gave it half throttle, he said "I did something wrong, I did something really wrong" didn't know wtf he was talkin' bout, pissed him off so bad he sold it. And it took him about 15-20 years to build that damn thing. He lost a lotta time and money..

Last edited:
So the real Important thing here is to recognize that I was right! Lol, but no really, iguessed it after the I saw internet pics and your pic of the throttle set up. (Insert pat on the back here lol)

@Steve Mcbean - you need the edelbrock throttle adapter big time, and then get the cable pulled further back in your bracket, readjust the Lokar trans kick down cable and this car should wake right up! Edelbrock 1481 is the number, it’s cheap. $25 bucks, then an hour of messing around.

Last edited:
Also we need to keep our opinions even though we're entitled to him at a very very tall Roar on these types of things (hopefully the mod will delete a post if it offends them)but we don't want the entire Zthreat to get **** canned or banished to news and politics

I totally agree I could blink and make 900 bucks in a day and a half without even trying. And I was 2 to 4 weeks booked Always, bought my duster in 20 as well! Of rather remind gave me a heck of a deal on her she is Rust free , basically and came with a 12 year old paint job. I did go through the entire car, rebuilding the rear suspension bushings, the entire front end, the fuel system, R&R motor, transmission, center chunk, adding the stripes to go with and building a fresh air induction system on it along with redoing parts of the interior. A friend of mine just sold a 66 Galaxie with a 460 in it it was a damn strong car the minute he got in that car with me and I barely gave it half throttle he said I did something wrong I did something really wrong pissed him off so bad he sold it. And it took him about 15-20 years to build that damn thing
At least we're in good states. The sale of the Demon would allow me start a completely new type of business, but it doesnt run right. I remember back in 2000, my friends heckled me cuz I sold my Harley to start an construction biz and later bought me another one. Never get too attached to something. Things are just things. And if they help get you ahead, use them . Can always get more.......if and when this rat bastard dies already and gets out the way. Lmao!

You fellas here inspired me today to try and hang on to the car and work on it myself. I learned a shitload in 3 hours just going back and forth with you guys. Made me appreciate the car, instead of hate it. We'll se what happens by Tuesday. I might just wind up listing it on this site.

I don't live in Austin anymore. How does one go about changing their location?

Last edited:
At least we're in good states. The sale of the Demon would allow me start a completely new type of business, but it doesnt run right. I remember back in 2000, my friends heckled me cuz I sold my Harley to start an construction biz and later bought me another one. Never get too attached to something. Things are just things. And if they help get you ahead, use them . Can always get more.......if and when this rat bastard dies already and gets out the way. Lmao!

You fellas here inspired me today to try and hang on to the car and work on it myself. I learned a shitload in 3 hours just going back and forth with you guys. Made me appreciate the car, instead of hate it. We'll se what happens by Tuesday. I might just wind up listing it on this site.
I'm about to put my 77 XLCR out there...

while you or a mechanic are under the back end sorting the leak make sure to replace the over the axle brake hardline that looks to be flattened completely. post 153 you can see it.
neil.

I don't live in Austin anymore. How does one go about changing their location?

I assume you mean in your title block? Click on your user name in the upper right of the screen. That should take you to your account details. Scroll down a bit and you'll see where you can edit your location.

@Steve Mcbean the more I look at your whole throttle cable and kick down set i might recommend simplifying the whole ‘show’. It’s a bit of a bats nest and is the source of all your power problems. The shop that did all your work may well have done a good job on the other stuff and the car could potentially be pretty quick. Most non-mopar people (insert Chevy mechanic here) can fail miserably when trying to set up a carb and its associated cables and linkage. When they do the work they are likely just standing right beside the car hood up with the engine running and are pumping the throttle by hand and it would appear to them that all is fine.

There are several threads on here showing the edelbrock carb throttle adapter I told you about previously. Not only does it move it a little further out it establishes the required ratio to allow full throttle operation. When the throttle cable is hooked onto the carb up high and far forward like it is you will run out of throttle cable before full throttle is ever achieved, even if the the cable is adjusted as close and proper as you could get.

There are also several threads for you to search discussing “Lokar” throttle and kick down cables. I believe you already have the kick down cable portion so perhaps with your research it may be as easy as adding the right bracket and changing out the throttle cable too. All a couple hundred bucks to make your $35,000 car run proper.

the picture is a proper Lokar set up showing how much more simplified and un-obstrucred everything is and should be.

what you have going in now is a flat out **** show. Also looks like the kick down cable will get hung up as the throttle opens. More which will be your next problem.

spend the time now looking for a better solution and you WILL be happy

shown might be a Holley carb which has slightly different solutions as what is required for edelbrock. Make sure you do edelbrock specific solution

IMG_4256.jpeg

IMG_4257.jpeg

while you or a mechanic are under the back end sorting the leak make sure to replace the over the axle brake hardline that looks to be flattened completely. post 153 you can see it.
neil.
Woah, let me check the pics.
@Steve Mcbean the more I look at your whole throttle cable and kick down set i might recommend simplifying the whole ‘show’. It’s a bit of a bats nest and is the source of all your power problems. The shop that did all your work may well have done a good job on the other stuff and the car could potentially be pretty quick. Most non-mopar people (insert Chevy mechanic here) can fail miserably when trying to set up a carb and its associated cables and linkage. When they do the work they are likely just standing right beside the car hood up with the engine running and are pumping the throttle by hand and it would appear to them that all is fine.

There are several threads on here showing the edelbrock carb throttle adapter I told you about previously. Not only does it move it a little further out it establishes the required ratio to allow full throttle operation. When the throttle cable is hooked onto the carb up high and far forward like it is you will run out of throttle cable before full throttle is ever achieved, even if the the cable is adjusted as close and proper as you could get.

There are also several threads for you to search discussing “Lokar” throttle and kick down cables. I believe you already have the kick down cable portion so perhaps with your research it may be as easy as adding the right bracket and changing out the throttle cable too. All a couple hundred bucks to make your $35,000 car run proper.

the picture is a proper Lokar set up showing how much more simplified and un-obstrucred everything is and should be.

what you have going in now is a flat out **** show. Also looks like the kick down cable will get hung up as the throttle opens. More which will be your next problem.

spend the time now looking for a better solution and you WILL be happy

shown might be a Holley carb which has slightly different solutions as what is required for edelbrock. Make sure you do edelbrock specific solution

View attachment 1716084630

View attachment 1716084631
I like that setup. Lol... what do you mean $35,000 car? Worth more than that.

I just listed the car for sale here. Rent is late.

Woah, let me check the pics.

I like that setup. Lol... what do you mean $35,000 car? Worth more than that.

I just listed the car for sale here. Rent is late.
I said that because you had it listed for 33,700 on autotrader. I don’t what it’s worth.

you’re now focusing on the wrong thing. Fix it and you could get 40-45

-
Back