Just bought a 09 Ram Hemi, tonneau cover questions...

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
Well the wife and I bought it, but it's hers. Would love to get a tonneau cover (not a hard one) for it before the winter but since there are 1000's of different kinds I was wondering what you guys have on your trucks.

P7290215.JPG

I have a access cover on mine 03 , 2500, i bought it new in 2003, and it still looks and works great, I live in Thunder Bay , Ontario, so thats lots of summers and winters, i would buy another one in a heart beat, also every part is warrented as long as you own your truck,

johnthegoalie, which model do you have, what was it worth? Is the Access more or less a soft cover that you flip down the bed and then you "force" it down to take the slack out of it? Definetly need something that works in the winter.

I just put a Truxedo LoPro on my 09 Ram. It fits really well. The only drawback is that with the design of the new tailgate I don't think there's any way to keep all of the water out of the box. The Truxedo on my 05 kept the bed dry as a bone but the new one allows the inside of the tailgate to get wet. I think the spoiler style top on the tailgate would cause any tonneau to allow water in.

What are they worth? How do you think the Velcro would hold up living on a gravel road? I always thought if they got dirty they wouldnt stick.

i live in hot 120 degree az with lots of dust - no problems with the velcro after 4 years.

I had an Extang Black Max on my Dakota and really liked it. It is a soft top secured by snaps.
Good points - it only took a minute to roll it up if I needed the truck bed, on the interstate it improved gas mileage about 2-3 mpg; no increase intown or on country roads though, it was water tight, it had easy fastener adjustments to allow for cold weather, it took the Georgia heat and sun for 10 years before the threads on the edges wore out. I plan to replace it with another Black Max. They are also pretty inexpensive.
Bad points - it did require regular maintainence by using "303" every time I washed the truck, even though the fasteners adjusted for cold weather it was a ***** to refasten if you unhooked it during the winter.

One other thing, about 3-4 years into my ownership one of the snap fasteners came off. I called the company and they shipped several replacement snaps, a special tool to install them with and a sample bottle of their cleaning and treatment - all free.

Your new truck is a beauty.
C

http://www.pace-edwards.com/rolltop.html

I absolutely love mine!!!!

I have had it for 6 yrs now with no trouble. It has a nice flush look without tie downs, buttons or Velcro. It also locks so all I did was installed a electric lock for the tail gate and no one can get in it. It locks and unlocks when you lock the cab. I have a 03 Ram by the way.

What's wrong with a hard one ... tonneau that is? I am running a locking Leer unit and feel relatively secure with it.

Have you ever hauled a refrigerator, weight bench,lawn mower, 4-wheeler or anything tall for that matter? lol

The hard tonneau cover wasn't a option for me so I went with something that would roll out of the way and does not weigh that much. My boss had hard shell cover on his truck years ago and I hated that thing. The little "shocks" that held it up quit working and we had to prop it up with a 2x4. It would come down in a hurry if you wasn't careful.

Just for anyone reading... you know you see people let down their tail gates in order to save on gas because the air catches on the tailgate? Well it has been proved (saw it on the internet somewhere) that letting the tailgate down actually hurts gas mileage. The tailgate up doesn't create a turbulence like it does with it down. The best way however is to have a tonneau cover wither it be hard top, roll or fold back.

What's wrong with a hard one ... tonneau that is? I am running a locking Leer unit and feel relatively secure with it.

The problem I've had is you got to Costco or Sam's Club and they have an end of season sale on a 51" stainless tool box for $899. It's a floor model and the sale is cash and carry so you have to roll it out the door as is.....assembled
What I'm getting at is if you see something that's a good deal but requires the whole box, a hard shell tonneau cover kind of limits you to what you can do with your truck.
I have a Truxedo lo-pro and I love it. The hard shell tonneau's are nicer but a roll up tonneau cover,for me makes more sense.

Just my .02

the best part of the hard cover is your buddies and wife's friends cant ask you to move **** for them...

Thanks a lot guys. I've been looking at one of the flip tonneau's (BAKFLIP maybe?) because the last part flips up against the cab. I do like the retractable ones but wonder how big the "roll" is at the front of the cab is when it's open?

I have a hard cover that has 3 hinges. so, it folds to 4 sections behind the cab, locks too. I think the brand is "advance cover". its on an '03

Thanks a lot guys. I've been looking at one of the flip tonneau's (BAKFLIP maybe?) because the last part flips up against the cab. I do like the retractable ones but wonder how big the "roll" is at the front of the cab is when it's open?

If you notice in the picture it rolls up inside a box that is about 10" x 10". You don't even see the roll at all. The box doesn't go all the way to the floor so plywood can fit all the way against the back of the bed. I have hauled loads of mulch to my house many times. The tractor just dumps it in the back and down the road I go I don't remove anything.

Hello All
I Work At A Dealership And Have Instaled The Truxedo Lo Pro On The Owners Trucks, They Look And Work Great. As Far As The Water Issue If You Look Closely You Will See A Rubber Flap At The Back By The Tailgate, This Flap Must Sit On Top Of The Tailgate, Not Inside, Meaning The Gate Must Be Closed Before Locking Down The Back Of The Cover! Then The Flap Will Be On Top Of The Gate And Water Will Not Intrude!
Wade

I made a quote request at summit for a soft tonneau cover for my Dakota truck.
Thinking I would go with the Extang tilt soft cover, the cover was $359 and
the shipping $255..... guess I´ll build a hard cover myself.

-
Back