Just bought Magnumforce adjustable control arms

-

69Valiant

Reaction score
Hello
New here! I get right down to it. Own a 1969 Plymouth Valiant. All polurethane suspension, 11" imperial disk brake setup. Have car sitting low with 16 inch billet wheels and never could get alignment right.

So I purchased a set of Magnumforce adjustable control arms. These are really nice but I was wondering if I could get any help from you experienced guys. First these cannot be adjusted on the car (argh) Do I start with the hiem joints screwed all the way in or start with them half way? This looks to be quite an extensive task. Also can someone give all the specs on alignment figures (castor camber toe) This is for a street car no drag racing what so ever. This car resembles the mopars on moparx.com Thankx for any help greatly appreciated.

Driver Side.JPG

Back View 2.JPG

Front Angle111.JPG

Front111.JPG

Engine111.JPG

I can't help you with the control arms, but I'd like to comment on what a beautiful machine you have there! That same model/make/year/color was the car my Dad drove me in to and from school. I wish they still used those "butterfly" vent windows, for ventilation on a hot day they have yet to improve on them. VERY nice ride!

-LY

Yes it is a beautiful car. Nice work.

The only thing I can tell you is I started mine with the rod ends screwed in half way, had it aligned that way. I got 3 degrees positive caster and 1/4 degree positive camber that way. I didn't feel that was enough so I changed it the way I did it in this thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=5423

I only drag race my car so you may not want to go that far. If you road race or autocross the car you might want slightly negative camber with not as much positive caster. Either way no one can tell you where to set your car at as every one of them is different. I'd start at halfway and go from there like I did. At least you'll have a reference point then.

Great stuff, Thanks guys. I also called Magnumfrorce and they said to put both side of the control arm about half way out as as a starting point (5 threads or so) This car is a everyday driver, not a race car or a road race car so I'm guessing factory alignment settings?

GuitarJones you said you got 3 degrees positive castor, I think you want positive castor even on the road but I don't know the specs. Does anyone have the alignment specs? I'm thinking 0.0 camber or no greater than 1.0 degree negative camber. And toe is pretty much the same for all rear wheel cars. Thanks again.

If it's a street car then a little positive camber is a good thing, about 1/4 degree. As for caster you can change this to suit your driving style but generally 3 to 5 degrees positive is good. Positive caster keeps the car going straight but it's harder to turn the steering wheel.

I like to see about 1/2 degree less caster on the left (drivers) side due to road crown and about 1/16 toe in if everything is tight. If it's a little worn in then 1/8 would be better.

-
Back