Just did 2 to 4 bbl swap car starts wont stay running please help

-
0 degrees of initial timing (at TDC with no vacuum advance) is way too low, that will definitely make the engine run very hot and make the headers glow red. You should probably be more around 10 degrees of initial at idle. How much timing does it have around 3000rpm (initial + mechanical no vacuum advance)?

When you took it for a drive, how did it feel? With only 0 degrees of initial I would assume it must have been lagging in power in a big way.

Theres no tack in the car so im not sure what it is at 3k rpm. It did seem like t was lagging waaay bad i thought adding the cam exhaust 4bbl nd intake would make a difference but i didnt really notice ne difference

the easiest way to go would be to just set the total timing (initial + the mechanical advanced with the vacuum advance disconnected) to 34 degrees while someone helps you keep the engine RPM around 3000 (or anything over that). It doesn't have to be precise, you just want to make sure the mechanical advance is all the way in.

Do you have a dial-back timing light? If not it would probably be easiest to buy some timing tape to degree the dampener since the stock timing tab doesn't show anything past 10 or 15 degrees BTDC.

since you don't have a tach, just have someone ref the engine until all the mechanical advance in the distributor is in, then using a timing light and set the timing to 34 degrees while keeping the engine RPM's high.

If you now let the engine come back to idle (750 rpm) the initial timing will most likely be between 10 - 15 degrees. Just make sure when setting the timing that you have the vacuum advance to the distributor disconnected and the port on the carb blocked off.

Just have a basic timing light gna have to get some timing tape nd go about it that way. Ill try to get someone tk help this afternoon when im done work see if that makes any difference thanks so much for all the help its really appreciated! Wish i had friends into this kinda stuff in my area would make life alot easier lol

This is a dumb question but how will i know the mechancal advance is all the way in? Still new to this stuf tryin to learn all i can

This is a dumb question but how will i know the mechancal advance is all the way in? Still new to this stuf tryin to learn all i can

No such thing as dumb questions LOL,
basically Ignition timing consists of 3 parts within the distributor that have to work together to make the engine run properly throughout the rpm range, and during different driving conditions. I'll try to keep it simple ha ha.

There are 3 parts to the distributor timing; initial timing, mechanical timing and the vacuum advance canister timing.

First initial timing:
this is the timing of the distributor at idle (around 750rpm). It can be changed by loosening the distributor lockdown nut and moving it clock-wise or counter clock-wise to either retard the timing or advance it.

Mechanical timing:
there are small weights in the distributor that as the engine RPM increases get pushed out (called centrifugal force) and due to these moving weights extra ignition timing gets added to the initial timing. (this is engineered this way since the engine needs different timing settings at different rpms)

Vacuum advance timing:
this is the vacuum canister that is attached to the distributor and has a rubber hose that is plugged into a ported manifold port on the carb (the port above the carb throttle blades). This adds additional timing to the initial and the mechanical timing to help out with better fuel burn during certain engine operations like highway cruising or diving up a steep hill when the engine is under load.

When you are setting your timing you want to make sure your vacuum advance canister is disconnected and the port is plugged off (so that you get a proper reading while setting your initial and mechanical)

Every engine is different and since we all use different than stock parts (cam, headers, aluminum heads etc.) it is impossible to give the exact timing numbers that your car would need but as a good starting point it is pretty safe to have:

10 degrees initial timing (at idle) and a total (initial+mechanical) of 34 degrees.

At what point all your mechanical advance (the weights in the distributor) comes in depends on what they call the advance curve. The mechanical weights have springs attached to them and at what rpm the weights reach their max travel depends on the strength of these springs.

To check at what RPM you have all your mechanical advance in; you'll have to have either a dial-back timing light or a degreed dampener. A tach would also really help.

Bring the rpms up and check at what point the timing mark on the dampener stops moving, that is the rpm when the weights in the distributor have reached their maximum travel (make sure the vacuum advance is disconnected). Now you can set your timing at that rpm to 34 degrees, If you bring the engine back to idle (750 rpm) it will probably show around 10 degrees of initial timing (no mechanical advance since the engine rpm is too low)

Sorry for the long post guys, I probably should have just sent you a PM.

Very helpful! A hell of alot clearer now to. Now it all makes sense it might be a good idea to invest in a tach and a dial back light so that i can get my car running as good as it possibly can. Thanks so much for all the info man. I swear if it wasnt for the people like you and this site id be lost when it comes to my old mopars.

till then just advance it till it rattles(spark knock) when you stomp it and then back off a few degrees.It will run a lot better. With a cam and mods stock timing isnt optimum anyway.You can install a new plug in it and read the plug to tell how its burning by matching it to a chart on the internet. Google reading spark plugs.You dont even need a timing light.

I was in your shoes about a year ago LOL, great people and information on this site :)

For now, set your timing to 10 initial and i'm sure that will put a smile on your face. Running at 0 degrees initial isn't very good for your engine, Good luck

till then just advance it till it rattles(spark knock) when you stomp it and then back off a few degrees.It will run a lot better. With a cam and mods stock timing isnt optimum anyway.You can install a new plug in it and read the plug to tell how its burning by matching it to a chart on the internet. Google reading spark plugs.You dont even need a timing light.

Another good way to do it, but sometimes it becomes hard to hear the pinging, I can hardly hear the radio over my cuda when I stomp on it LOL

Also you say your carb is new out of the box,I hope that means you checked your float level before installing it!?

Wow what a difference! I have it set at 10 initial timing and it really woke up i cant wait to see what its gna be like when i fine tune the carb nd timing!

LOL, always feels good to get some instant performance for free ha ha.

My 360 likes 18 degrees initial and 36 total, so depending on your engine combo you might have a lot more performance to dial in there.

Have you tried advancing it a bit more, maybe like in 2 degree increments? You'll know if you have too much timing if you hear pinging or starter kickback (when trying to start) or hot starting issues (after a long drive). Don't be afraid to dial in a few more degrees and do a "seat of the pants" comparison, 10 degrees initial is still pretty mild :)

Glad it's waking up for you. Enjoy it.

-
Back