Just found a 68 Formula S 383 Cuda. What's it worth?

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
So I was cruising around my home town and found a 383 formula S cuda in a field that's a solid car. Somebody put fenderwell headers on it but aside from that it's an all original 4 speed car. The guy is asking 13k which I think is a bit steep but for a car with 0 rust that's all there I guess it could be worth it. What was the production number of those cars with the 383? I'll try to get some pics up, just curious if somebody knows a bit about them. I'm not a cuda guy but I like the fastback body style that year. If anyone could shine some light on the rough value of a car that needs resto. All the trim etc is all there.

I dunno, that seems a little high to me. Try talking to him for a while. Is it a numbers matching car or not?. Reference , I bought a numbers 68 Dart GTS 383 A/T car last year for $4500. See the resto thread here at the bottom.

I know a member here had a fastback 383 cuda with a 440 6 pack 4 speed on ebay and didn't get a bid at 22,000 I think. The car is in nice shape and he had the original motor for it as well. Jump in and drive....I think 13k is high

It takes a quite bit of money to strip it down and resto... engine, trans, weather stripping, paint, chrome, interior etc. Add ups quick.

all 4 speed numbers below

1968 formula s 383 fastback- 553
1969 formula s 383 fastback - 331
1969 cuda 383 fastback- 130

Info found on 440magnum-network.com

Are the factory big block exhaust manifolds there? Those are very expensive to buy if missing.

So I was cruising around my home town and found a 383 formula S cuda in a field that's a solid car. Somebody put fenderwell headers on it but aside from that it's an all original 4 speed car. The guy is asking 13k which I think is a bit steep but for a car with 0 rust that's all there I guess it could be worth it. What was the production number of those cars with the 383? I'll try to get some pics up, just curious if somebody knows a bit about them. I'm not a cuda guy but I like the fastback body style that year. If anyone could shine some light on the rough value of a car that needs resto. All the trim etc is all there.

Pretty rare car, according to my book a total of 252 across all three body styles had the 383. No details on transmission
Of the 64 convertibles 24 were auto and 40 were 4-sp

That was the first thing I looked for was the manifolds but didn't see them. The owner wasn't there so I didn't get a chance to ask him. I know they are expensive as hell. I know it would be a spendy build. Good thing I do it all so that will cut costs. Yea I though 13 was way high. Just a cool car that I hate seeing sitting in a field. Didn't see if it was the original motor. Looks like it was hot rodded in the past. It had the callouts on the hood. What caught my eye was the straight body with no rust at all! It would be an easy resto if I could get it cheap enough. The guys going off barrett jackson prices. 4 grand or so I'd be all over it.

553 4spd
395 auto

Barracuda Formula S fastbacks for 1968.

If its rust free with all the hard to find big block a body parts - engine block, exhaust manifolds, radiator, fan shroud, etc. then I would say its worth it. Rust free being a huge deal, that's the majority of your resto costs. As well as fenders and grill parts are very hard to find in good shape.

I think it's too high for a non-running "as found" A-body, even though it is pretty much the most desirable package you could realistically find (not likely to find an SS/A car). Just add $20k and see where that puts you -- that would be your minimum cost -- you could easily spend more. For this model, you could stretch to maybe $8k. IMO.

-
Back