Just got my own place...

-
Looks about like the 36' Safari in the barn, except color.

I pulled my 24' Enclosed hauler to PA with it and got 8.8 mpg, just the coach it gets a little over 10 MPG.

Hope yours doesn't have a propane generator, WHAT A PAIN IN THE A**, 55gallon tank for heat, frig, wh & generator. Generator will use about 1 gallon an hour, DO THE MATH, if you have to run it much you are always needing to fill the damn tank.

If you are going to park it and have a driver vehicle a Jeep with Tow bar is great. We have a 98 Jeep Cherokee limited that we tow with it. Hook up in 2 minutes and you are on your way. Or most stick cars/truck (2wd) can be flat towed without any mods.

If you have any questions send me a PM with phone number, or if you are back home again in Indiana we could get together if you need any assistance with anything.

Turning radius isn't great. Take it to a LARGE parking lot to get a feel for it.

Good Luck and in a year hope you are still happy with your decision.

They also make excellent tow vehicles. I borrowed a 32 ft. Winnebago and a car trailer to go the the Nats in 2000. (my trailer wasn't finished in time) The 454 Chev got 5.1 mpg but I stayed at the campground right next to the track for a lot less than the cost of a motel and I could just walk back to my car.

Good luck with yours and don't forget----PROPANE WORKS GREAT!!

Yeah...it's got the 6500W propane generator. I do have plans to add a few solar panels during the spring, as well as a few other modifications to make it a little better for full-timing. Any suggested mods to make to an RV?

Well, I go to pick it up tomorrow. Flying from Buffalo NY to Phoenix AZ. My brother's meeting me at the airport, flying in from Indy. We'll then get picked up at the airport by a rep from the RV dealer...

Hopefully fun, albeit short. There's gonna be about 28 hours of driving in roughly 48 hours. I'll be flying back from Indy to Buffalo Sunday evening after putting the rig in storage until temps get above freezing and I can move in.

If it's going into cold storage you should winterize the plumbing IMMEDIATELY so it doesn't freeze. Maybe the RV dealer can take care of it before you pick it up.

holding tank? you mean it doesn't just drop out on the road? well dang, didn't know that:-|

watch

unless you have heated storege you will need to drain the tanks and put RV anti freeze in the drains and need to get it into the water lines.

It will be OK as long as the heat is on

And instead of dumping in the storm sewer as they did on Christmas vacation, stop at a truck stop, Flying J and you can dump your holding tanks there. Some rest stops also have dump stations. The KOA in Mt. Comfort charged me $15 but it beat driving to New castle to dump for free.

Good Luck in getting it back to Indy

As far as winterize your drains, just put windshield washer fluid down your drains. Cheaper and does not freeze. Should be able to "blow" your watersupply lines out. I don't have an RV but a pull behind camper. For your tanks, use RID-X. will keep crap from building up. Same stuff to use for septic tanks for a house.
At times I think it would be great to live and travel in a RV. But if you have another vehicle to pull, for me it would be easier to put car on trailer. Hard to back up with your towed vehicle on all "fours". If you plan on living in it full time, when you can move in, I don't think the cost would be bad. If you can find a place for long term parking.
But this is just my $.01 worth, I'm cheap.

Well, I picked it up Friday, had a helluva time finding my way out of Phoenix AZ, but eventually got under way after losing about 3.5 hours.

Had a cold night because I couldn't figure out how to get the generator/furnace going, eventually just let the diesel idle to keep from freezing.

Then today, entered the home stretch, poised to make it to IN and back into storage in time to get on a plane to Buffalo and back to work tomorrow...coming up on the south side of St. Louis, BOOM! loud boom, lost power, and lost boost..oh, and big clouds of smoke out the exhaust.

Dead in the water. So, it's been towed to a Kenworth/Cummins dealer, and will be checked out tomorrow, after I call them when they open up in the morning. I'm on a flight from STL to Buffalo, and my brother who accompanied me on this wondrous trip, is on a flight from STL to IND and home. I need a drink...badly, and a cigarette, which I can't have since my brother's around...

Oh...luckily when I picked it up, the holding tanks were flushed, and the fresh water tank was empty. So no storage problems there...but man, I need something to go very right very soon. I haven't even made my first payment yet. Also, getting out of the tow truck after it got set down, I didn't see the sharp incline and managed to fall into a nice rocky ditch...I'm tired, sore, and bruised, both physically and mentally.

Dang :tongue9: I hate to see ya going though this pharmboy #-o
I don't know anything about this kind of stuff but I have seen enough here that I can see you could use a prayer or three to get things going your way and soon, keep us updated :shock:
I hope a hot sauna and a good stiff drink is in your path soon :drinkers:
I would be going nut's :shock:

Well, I managed to make it back to work this morning(In Rochester, NY). Called the KW dealer this morning to let them know what was going on, and it seems it'll either be something cheap/easy to fix (blown air-air boot on the pressurized side of the turbo), or something expensive/slightly less easy to fix (blown turbo). My brother survived his flight back to Indianapolis from STL, although mine was almost two hours late getting in(got back to my hotel at 2 AM). After a long hot shower and a shave, I felt immeasurably better. I'm actually kinda glad that I wasn't injured, especially given that I fell out of the tow truck into a ditch because I wasn't watching where he'd parked. Anyway, time to get some work done...more later.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune. I hope it is only the boot. Those engines are good for blowing them off. I know one of the trucks we had I would have the drives carry the socket and ratchet to cure it. They always popped off and it saved me from having to chase them down.

I can only hope it's just the boot. Although, thinking about it, it makes sense, given what symptoms I saw. Being a first-time diesel owner now, it's a strange new world. As is everything else associated with owning a motorhome...oddly, it's a fairly easy beast to drive.

Well, I got a call today from the Kenworth dealer...they found a lot of metal bits in the oil, and at least one cylinder is scored. It would seem the engine is a victim of the legendary 'killer dowel pin'. Looks like I'm gonna need either rebuild or remanufactured engine installed. I'm certain that many lesser men would be curled into a ball and weeping by now.

Yea, that's the good thing about there being a upside. To bad it can sometimes be costly.

IMO you will still be alot better off than if you had signed a note for a new one and owe 100,/ to 300,000. another delay but i bet you will really enjoy when you finally get it home.

Well, I got a call today from the Kenworth dealer...they found a lot of metal bits in the oil, and at least one cylinder is scored. It would seem the engine is a victim of the legendary 'killer dowel pin'. Looks like I'm gonna need either rebuild or remanufactured engine installed. I'm certain that many lesser men would be curled into a ball and weeping by now.

I like your stand up and look at the reality of it pharmboy :cheers:
And a bran new effin new engine 8)
You have a good out look :cheers: and dealing with this in a cool way :cheers:

What dealer here in Phoenix sold you that rig? You should have gotten some kind of 30 day warranty or something....:read2:

-
Back