Just need a push in the right direction.....

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So my dome lights not working and my brake lights that I know of. Blown fuse again. I put a new fuse in and it blew instantly. Looks like a short somewhere. Where are the most common places to look? Car has seats inside but nothing else. 70 Duster 340 and I do have a wiring diagram. Just not exactly a wiz kid when it comes to electrical. Thanks to this car I have learned a lot so far. Thanks in advance.

So my dome lights not working and my brake lights that I know of. Blown fuse again. I put a new fuse in and it blew instantly. Looks like a short somewhere. Where are the most common places to look? Car has seats inside but nothing else. 70 Duster 340 and I do have a wiring diagram. Just not exactly a wiz kid when it comes to electrical. Thanks to this car I have learned a lot so far. Thanks in advance.
It's all part of the rear body harness. There is a connector behind the driver side kick panel. The harness runs along the drivers rocker panel, down back by the driverside rear seat and enters a trunk. The dome light connector should be just inside the trunk behind the rear seat on the drivers side. I'd start by disconnecting the connector behind the kick panel and reinstalling a fuse. If it doesn't pop then take the fuse out, plug the connector back in and disconnect the dome light. Then reinsert the fuse. If it doesn't blow then the short is located in the tail light harness beyond the dome light connector.
Here's is the main rear harness in the background.

IMG_20150622_152632304.jpg

And the dome light connector behind the seat

IMG_20150622_152617736.jpg

Make sure you have the right bulbs, I ran across this one time and someone had put a single contact bulb in place of a double contact.

I'll get a chance to look at it tomorrow. I have a few things going on electrically. My horn now beeps intermittently when I turn left hard. Oh the pain

It's all part of the rear body harness. There is a connector behind the driver side kick panel. The harness runs along the drivers rocker panel, down back by the driverside rear seat and enters a trunk. The dome light connector should be just inside the trunk behind the rear seat on the drivers side. I'd start by disconnecting the connector behind the kick panel and reinstalling a fuse. If it doesn't pop then take the fuse out, plug the connector back in and disconnect the dome light. Then reinsert the fuse. If it doesn't blow then the short is located in the tail light harness beyond the dome light connector.
Here's is the main rear harness in the background.

View attachment 1715369689

And the dome light connector behind the seat

View attachment 1715369691
Disconnected the rear harness and the fuse still popped. Disconnected the column connection and the fuse didn't blow. Have the wires hanging down for access to them and the fuse didn't blow when I plugged the connector back in. After pushing the connector up where it should be out of the way saw a spark and the fuse blew again. It could just be a cracked insulation on one of those wires cause I moved the connector and saw a spark and so far found at least one wire with a small crack in the insulation.

-
Back