Just put in rebuilt 904 now i have no forward gears. Help...

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
So i just put in a rebuilt 904 trans for my mil 318. Well i have reverse but no forward gears. Trans doesnt kickdown when it goes it any of the forward gears. When i get it up to about 3k rpm it crawls in drive. But nothing else. Fluid level is good checked 20 times. Any help would be completely appreciated

Was it air pressure tested during assembly? If so and it passed it's a valve body issue. Was the valve body modified i.e. a shift kit installed? Complete information on exactly what was done/rebuilt/replaced and by whom (their skill level/experience with rebuilding torqueflites) would be helpful.

You are going to have to pull the VB down and air test the servo's and clutchpacks.
First though could it be a linkage thing, like limitation of travel?

Was it air pressure tested during assembly? If so and it passed it's a valve body issue. Was the valve body modified i.e. a shift kit installed? Complete information on exactly what was done/rebuilt/replaced and by whom (their skill level/experience with rebuilding torqueflites) would be helpful.

New radiator with new cooler. The information i got was that it passed all the air checks with no problem. The way the linkage is good i checked that should i drop the valve body and replace it with a known good one?

He was saying he may not have adjusted the line pressure properly

If that's what he said he either doesn't know squat about torqueflites or is trying to blow smoke up your butt. You can adjust the line pressure adjustment from one end to the other and it will still have drive. Even if it's backed off all the way it doesn't go down to zero or anywhere close cause the adjuster is very limited on how far it goes. Plus the fact it has reverse says the line pressure is sufficient to make it drive cause line pressure in reverse is higher than in drive. And don't start winging parts at it (such as a known good valve body) in a futile attempt to try and make it work. That is NOT the proper way to fix it. Drop the valve body and air pressure test it. The clutch packs have to operate for it to work and it is an very easy test to perform and will tell you if it's a clutch pack issue or not. The rebuilder should offer to air pressure test it for free since he rebuilt it.

Could it be a possible converter problem like maybe not seated all the way im 100% positive it is but could that cause a condition like that? Im just tryin to figure this out bc i bought it from a fellow member and im getting frustrated and now i have to take everything back out and check it. Im just about ready to give it back and ask for my money back. Is that the route that i should pursue?

......not a verter problem............I see u already gave him a call or p/m.......not a good answer or not very knowledgeable.........i would be asking 4 my money back.............kim........

You would'nt have reverse either.
I think your best option is to test or retest with air.
If you can get the car to the guy he should offer to air test it in the car at no charge.
Just because someone rebuilt it does not mean they are all done when it leaves.
Somebody messed up, and from the answer he gave you about the line pressure I bet he broke some rings on the pump stator while putting the pump in and it should be rechecked and taken care of BY HIM.

Damn, from all the trans problems people are having after rebuilds it makes me consider getting back into building them again.
TF's are about as basic as an automatic gets, but there sure seems to be a lack of ability out there.

......not a verter problem........QUOTE]

I am not a pro...... sounds like it has a leak in a piston
o-ring on foward plantary,you can not see the o-ring once
installed and air test is the only way to bench test it. also
I HAVE SEEN A CRACKED seal ring and you will lose all
your pressure. sound right?

i appreciate all the help everyone. i think i may just air check it first. then see what happens there. i know he should do it but i would rather check it myself so i know for sure whats wrong.

i appreciate all the help everyone. i think i may just air check it first. then see what happens there. i know he should do it but i would rather check it myself so i know for sure whats wrong.

Here's the only problem with doing it that way. He could say you messed something up if he's not there to observe things. I'd at least make sure he's present before you even drop the pan. Doesn't take long to drop a pan and VB to do the tests. Maybe 1 to 1-1/2 hrs. at the most counting the time it takes to jack it up and put it on stands.

So i pulled the pan down today and found a million little fine grains of metal and a vertry bad burning smell cOming from the fluid and case. Now i am pretty frustrated at this point because the entire trans has to be gone thru and cleaned and checked and the seller will not respons to any of my calls/messages. Im looking into taking legal action because quite frankly i just paid over 400 dollars plus time and gas to go pick tjis trans up and install it and all of it is just wasted.

Yes sir. What really upsets me is that he wont even answer the phone at least own up to your mistake. That was the last little bit of extra cash i had for my car to get running. So like i said im going to file a civil suit ive already discussed it with my lawyer and thats the route im going to take, unfortunately

Yeah, that's not good business practice and would make me mad too. Hopefully when he knows about the lawsuit he'll man up and take care of it before it goes to court. Good luck getting it resolved.

-
Back