K Frame Interchange

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Howdy folks,
I want to drop a 318 into my (now /6) '72 Duster. In searching for a new K frame, am I limited to only A body frames, or will some other body type K frame work?
Thanks,
C

Yes, it will be only a-body k frames, '67 - '72 if you want the same biscuit style motor mount and '73 - '76 if you go with the spool type motor mount. I used the conversion mounts with my /6 k frame because I am cheap and didn't what to try and find the factory correct stuff.

Chuck

I believe your only option is an A-body K-member! I am using the 73 to 76 version to allow use of the late model A-body motor mounts in my 71 Dart!

Jason
1971 Dart

Wow, that was quick guys.
As a follow up, will the transmission crossmember for the six also work with the 318? Is there a difference between the 904 crossmember and the 727?
Thanks again,
C

Regarding the transmission crossmember, will only a '72 work? If other years, which ones?
Thanks again,
C

I know for sure that '70 - '72 is the same, and I believe that '69 is also the same. If my memory serves me correctly in '67 or '68 4 speed crossmembers were different than the automatic crossmembers. The '73 - '76 will also fit in your '72 but it uses a different mount style than the '72. This is of no issue if you use the '73-'76 mount/crossmember assembly together.

Chuck

Thanks so much for the info.
My '72 came in a basket w/o a motor or transmission. I have a '74 /6 parts car that is complete...
C

-
Back