K-frame removal

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
I know this question has been answered here before, but I can't remember where.
My K-frame is (I think) ready for removal. I've removed the nuts from the front of the torsion bars; now what? I assume they're under tension. What do I have to watch out for, and what's the next step?

Those were probobly the lower control arm pivot nuts that you removed. to remove the t-bars, take all the weight off the front wheels of the car and find the torsion bar adjustment screw for each side-it is a 3/4' hex on the bottom of the lower control arm. Loosen it to remove the tension on the t-bar, you will have to go quite a way back with it. Then remove the little clips on the rear torsion bar socket and pull the t-bar out the back. If it has been in there for a while it will not come out easy. There are tools available that will grip it so that you can hammer it out. If you gouge the torsion bar it will lead to breakage later on so be careful if you want to use it over.

Go have another look at my CarDomain site, page2, first photo. Are those the rods you're talking about, the ones that are angled about 45 degrees front-to-rear? If so, those are the strut rods, not the torsion bars. The torsion bars run from the lower control arm to the front sub-frame cross member. :thumblef:

Thanx for the swift replies. I think what I removed are the control arm nuts; I'll try to attach a pic.

Susp01.jpg

are you wanting to do? Remove the T bars or the K member? Your 1 st post looks like your wanting to remove the K member. I beleive there are 4 BIG bolts. Stuff to do before that though. Explain. We're here to help.

BOTH!
It's OK; The entire suspension, etc is off the right side. Both torsion bars are now off and the upper control arm bolts are all that's holding on the left suspension. All 4 K-frame bolts are loose. I'm soooooo close!

-
Back