K-frame resto, do I or dont I?

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
I have a dilema, I am building my front end. I have blasted and painted everything. I have thoroughly reinforced my k-frame, over 100 additional spotwelds, rewelded all of the mounts and stands, added the washers for the lca mounts, gusseted the mounts for both steering arms and the box. All of the bolt ons are painted. The k-frame is reassembled, to just short of the spindles and uca's. It looks good, the k is painted in satin black zero-rust...love this stuff it looks awesome. Now the rub...there are still a few weld spatter boogers, not alot, but enough that I know they are there, and when I looked through into the interior, I noticed some scaley rust. My anal retentive self says, I am building my all-time dreamcar and I intend to keep it forever...truly, when I was a boy I wanted a sb powered manual trans Duster to corner so here it is, I have it. So my anal side says blow it apart, send it out to be dipped, then fully powdered inside and out, then put it back together. Doing this would really serve no other purpose than the knowing that I did it and it will last forever. The practical side says...nobody will ever see the weld boogers, and just paint the inside with Eastwoods wand and rust paint, nobody will be the wiser. Weigh in with your opinions fellas, kick me in the nuts, defend your position, help me decide which of the little men on my shoulders I should listen to! Thank you in advance!:banghead:

Ok after screwing around with Eastwoods PITA website all night.....dip and powder it is! The darn website will not let me check out...just refreshes the pre-checkout page over and over again! It took me over an hour of games just to get the website to load properly. I dont have time or patience for that crap. I will tear it back down Monday after work, and then haul it and a couple of other parts to the stripper for the bath. Better that way anyways...in the back of my head, I will always know I did it to the best standards and tech available.

How snug are your lower control arm pins in the k-frame. I've got mine at a machine shop, the pins are getting sleeved. They are a little sloppy!

I am about to pull the k member out of my 67 Barracuda and rebuild the front end. I was also wondering between the paint or powder coat route. Please keep us posted with plenty of pics as you go back together. This would be very educational for me, as I have never removed or rebuilt the k member and suspension. I have been told if there are any tight fits, the powder coat will make them tighter and will have to be ground off in those areas.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks

Harry :burnout:

I am about to pull the k member out of my 67 Barracuda and rebuild the front end.

Sorry to hijack.

Is it a '67 K-frame? If original is not important you may want to, at the very least, go to a '68-'72 K. If you decide to go that route you can pick up a K, do all the work and have it ready for the swap. The main difference is the idler arm mount, '67s are notorious for having issues. It is single shear ('67) vs. double shear ('68-up).

-
Back