k-frame strengthening

-
I had the k frame, lower control arms, bumper brackets and inner splash shields powder coated. They were all blasted first. The aftermarket components are powder coated.
I have seen the powder coating go both ways good and bad. When painted the outcome is better known I think? My parts turned out nice just hopping they hold up well.
The k frame has seams and voids that potentially could let moisture behind any coating causing problems? Not sure the powder coating is best.

Not sure the powder coating is best.

Another reason a high quality chassis paint would be better is that powder requires baking to cure. If you don’t get that k-frame free of nearly all grease you could have poor results. Not everyone preps things correctly.

Also, I’ve had some parts done in powder that ended up with a pretty high build, super thick. Harder to redo those parts.

1. There was a comment at the beginning about Mig vs Tig. I'm a Certified Tig Welder, welding for over 50 years. I would not Tig these K members, takes up too much time and introduces too much heat with resultant warpage potential of the K member. You need some amps to get decent penetration of this size metal piece.
2. My first suggestion after a deep cleaning/soaking/sandblasting/etc, would be first to triple? up the existing OEM spot welds. They structurally IMO add more stiffness to the member by being closer to a node point of the joined pieces than full edge welding of all the seams achieves.
3. After the spot weld additions, then weld the seams
4. The LCA mods have been addressed elsewhere and are IMO just another example of feel good Automotive OCD and no more

Great point on the heat factor @J-c-c! Not being a certified welder, your input is excellent. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and teaching me something I didn't know.

-
Back