K Frame Verification

-

mopars4life

Reaction score
All need to verify if a K frame that came with a duster I bought is a big block k frame. I bought a 73 duster that was a 340 car and had had a big block in it. Seller said it had a big block k frame and an extra small block k frame was with it. I think he had it backwards. The k frame in the car was the factory small block spool mount k frame with big block spool mounts to run the big block. The extra k frame said 74 duster 340 on it but it was a 72 and earlier biscuit style unlike my small block k frames from other a bodies of that era and judging from other pics isn’t a slant 6 k frame either... it looks like a big block a body k frame but I am not a big block a body expert. What do you think? Will be looking to sell this and some other stuff that came with the car I won’t be using to help fund the build at some point. Thanks in advance for the help.

70E214A0-3F93-466B-A86F-D2ACC81C89D6.jpeg

15E8254B-1098-47EF-9BDF-AA1493B798C8.jpeg

1FD06993-C444-47A3-9234-13660D0E610F.jpeg

7288AC0E-6D99-478C-BCB3-3F8D2A31F9BA.jpeg

The pictures are not that great because of all the angled close ups. But it looks like a early B-body K frame from the one top picture. It is definitely pre 68 and the rad support brace looks like B-body. You need to measure the distances between the mounting holes, And compare it to a-body measurements on your car. The first thing is see what body it fits. Then what motor.

Not a A-body K-member. Uses the stud style idler arm. 67 B-body?

67 a-body took the same style idler arm. No way is it a 67 b-body. Now I am not a mopar official just and old Chevy guy but No holes for a stabilizer.Also dual holes for the mount pad. Looks sort of like the 65 I have here now. And remarkably is the same as my 62 Polara. Go figure! I am not sure of the motor mount towers but I can look when the sun comes up.

If you all wouldn't have condemned me on loading pictures of my past you would have pictures of all of them on that thread.

Where's the Popcorn now? Just an old man not an Official

Thanks for the replies. I know the pics aren’t the best. I will check the distance on the mounting holes and compare with other a and b body k frames on that when I have a chance.

3rd pic. He narrowed aka cut the front of the tower off, drivers side to clear the bb oil pump.
Thanks;I’ve heard that was common on big block k frames in a bodies for the oil pump/filter clearance so I guess it looks like a big block k frame then to you?

I was not narrowed it was born this way.
those pictures are so ******* cockeyed that anyone can mix it up it look like I was looking at the front of the tower when I was actually looking at the back and it could have been cut at the back, but it definitely was cut and welded on.
I put quite a few Big Blocks in small block k frame cars and the only thing you have to do to the k member is lop some of the driver side front tower off and box it in to clear the oil pump.

Well I just got back and its dark. I bought another cool tool from Mario Andretti's old race shop in Jersey . The name of the place was "3 n 1 race weld" Wait until you guys see what I bought. We may take them both, One weighs over 4000lbs . I am thinking of buying the fork lift he has there also. Its old ,Its little, and its Cool looking.

Any way, That K-member above is exactly the same as the 65 Coronet in my driveway. Big block all right. 318 poly. Exactly the same there is nothing cut at all. The way that one is pictured is the way it looks. I sort of new that thing looked like the one in the 62 Polara.

Oldmanmopar - you were right. Mounting holes across and on the side - wider than an a body K frame. Not sure how desirable that k frame is....

-
Back