K member 73 Duster 318

-

Moparduster1

Reaction score
I just removed the K member and here is how it looked. Pretty sure it is not factory. What would be the issues in repairing this? Thanks

11058719_10203886763915673_5278739424417066058_n.jpg
11071751_10203886763955674_6640667266854532416_n.jpg

If your frame rail is that bad in that spot-- I would check the rest of the rails-- both sides- then buy a nice used piece from a member on FABO or source one locally & weld in a replacement section or rail depending the condition of your ride.

that is so rusted it pulled the captured nut section out of the frame rail, I've had some rusty cars but never seen that-- was your car flooded at some point?

Time to jack it up & thoroughly check all the frame support sections front to rear, Lawrence

if that is all that is bad then you will need to figure out how to repair just that section

I do not think it was rust, it looked like it was welded on already. I will post more pics later. It was an OK car orginally. The rest looks pretty soild, just surface rust. Just finding strange things as I get into it more. Pulled the motor and had one bolt holding the trans.

Looks like a whole lotta rustin goin on to me. Therein lies the problem. It will be necessary to cut until solid metal at a safe thickness is found before a replacement piece can be fitted and welded back into place. There's not enough photo for me to make a semi-educated guess as to whether its factory or not.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=307984&highlight=frame+rails

check out this members rails for sale-- use them as a guide as to what yours should look like, they look to be prime pieces of metal.

i do not have any affiliation with this seller-- i just think he does an outstanding job on removing pieces from cars.

1 bolt?? that is scary-- you really need to start checking the car out-- sounds like it was put together rather quickly.

Lawrence

Thanks for the replies. I wish I knew why it was welded. There is no major rust, just surface and no signs of being damaged in that area at all. VDART I am now going to go through everything, the entire front clip is stripped down and will be sandblasted. Hope I don't find anything else.

-
Back