K-member and mount ??

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 74 Duster /6 car that was already converted to V8 (318) via motor mount kit w/727 and 8.75 rear. The motor currently seems to sit a little high. Anyway, this winter I'm replacing the 318 with a fresh 340 and wondered if it would be worth swapping the k-member for a V8 member or just go with the motor mount kit that I have. Do I have anything to gain by replacing the K-member? Also, is the height thing just in my head or could there be something to that too? I ask about the height because I planned to use an Edelbrock airgap intake and I think it will add a little more height to the carb.

the only difference I believe is the mount measurements , k-member is the same. there are tutorials on here about k - members . do a search you'll find plenty of talk.

Hello all,
Do I have this posted in the wrong area? I was hoping that some folks that have used the mount kits to complete their swaps could chime in about the height of their engines.

you should be good with what you have. what mount kit do you have? your engine should set normally . Go to the small block forum I'm sure you will have luck there.

Drivers side mount ears cast into the block are different from 318 to 340-360. You will have to shim the drivers side mount with an approximate 1/2" thick spacer on the back motor mount ear to mount these mounts on a 340-360 if using your existing drivers side 318 motor mount. You eill also need to get a longer bolt to go along with the spacer. Get a grade 8 as thats what the rest of the mount bolts are, or should be. Passenger side block mounting ears are in the same location and spacing for 273, 318, 340, 360. I can send you pix with a tape measure, but you have a 318 and a 340. Just measure the spacing between the fwd and aft mount ears on both blocks. The 340 block they are closer together by approx 1/2" compared to the 318.

Hope this helps
Matt

Drivers side mount ears cast into the block are different from 318 to 340-360. You will have to shim the drivers side mount with an approximate 1/2" thick spacer on the back motor mount ear to mount these mounts on a 340-360 if using your existing drivers side 318 motor mount. You eill also need to get a longer bolt to go along with the spacer. Get a grade 8 as thats what the rest of the mount bolts are, or should be. Passenger side block mounting ears are in the same location and spacing for 273, 318, 340, 360. I can send you pix with a tape measure, but you have a 318 and a 340. Just measure the spacing between the fwd and aft mount ears on both blocks. The 340 block they are closer together by approx 1/2" compared to the 318.

Hope this helps
Matt
Thank you

-
Back