K member notch

-

A408Cuda

Reaction score
Thought I would post a couple of pics of how I notched my K-member, for anybody out there that needs to do it. I just winged it but I'm happy how it turned out.

The red paint is where i marked it in the car, you can see the scratched paint where the oil pan was hitting.
wMDAwMC9hdHRhY2htZW50Lm91dGxvb2subGl2ZS5uZXRAODRkZjllN2YtZTlmNi00MGFmLWI0MzUtYWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhIn0.jpg

I found a piece of heavy 3/8" thick angle iron in my scrap bin.
wMDAwMC9hdHRhY2htZW50Lm91dGxvb2subGl2ZS5uZXRAODRkZjllN2YtZTlmNi00MGFmLWI0MzUtYWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhIn0.jpg

I didnt get pictures of the whole process something I shall work on for future post, but basically what I did was cut the K member with a cut-off wheel in my grinder, then I cut the angle iron to the correct width on my chop saw to fit inside the frame. I then marked the frame and cut the frame so it set half way on the 3/8 thickness of the angle all the way around and welded it up solid. I also added a 1 1/4" sch 80 piece of pipe for extra support.

Back in the car clearance problem solved.

One more thing, I welded a couple of cross bars in the K member and tacked it to my work bench before I did any cutting to make sure it didn't warp during cutting and welding.

-
Back