K member outta square?

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
Hello all,
I opened another thread about body flex and it kinda drifted to the k member i just pulled out and see all kinda welds on, don't look factory.
The power steering mount plate is cracked, looks like it has burn thru on one weld, and the welds are just terrible in general with alotta splatter.

So i figured i woudl open a k member thread.

Got an old timer welder i work with to look at the pics and he seems to think that it may have been in an accident, cuz the welds to him to not look like they woulda been acceptable in a factory, not today nor the 50s.

So my question is, i have this k member outta the car. How do i check to it to see if its square? if its been in a collision? HOW do i check the car for that same issue as a matter of fact? just run a tape measure from rear to front and crisscross?

I have pics of the k member up under my thread "body bends when jacking" http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=196522

let me know if you want pics on this post to help ya out in seeing it.

i had this issue come up when i was doing the front end on my AWB car... it was really strange because everything was 0 or 1/16 and went to install the K and only 2 bolts fit at a time lol...

ended up die grinding the holes open and making a bushing to fit in there... bolted it up and align specs were right where they needed to be...

hmm, mine came out fairly easy, hopefully it goes back in easy to.
Im gonna sandblast it today when i get home, see if i can clean it up a bit, look at welds and damage.

thanks for the reply

The factory done some really shabby welding on the k frames. I would think that it all rite. I don't think anyone would have tried to straightened out one when it was so easy to buy another and switch them out. Good Luck Ronnie

ive always measured them front bolt hole across to the opposite side rear hole in an X pattern when the holes arent wallowed out.i have yet to see one that had any. they are hardly ever 100% perfect

amazing, just amazing.
Well in case i end up trashing it, where can i get just a tube k member?
don't have enough cash for an alterkation or magnumforce yet.

I sent my factory K-Frame to Dick Ross at Firm Feel. It took a little while to get it back (3 weeks) but it was well worth it and I know why it took so long. He gussets the steering box, re-welds everything, reinforces the LCA mounts (Mine were broken completely loose and he fixed that), added a skidplate, and in general just made it kickass.

I don't like the tubular K's (I will probably always be suspect of their engineering) and this was actually not too expensive. WELL worth it, IMO, and it's not something that he advertises much (or did not at the time, anyway).

-
Back