K-member

-

Joe334

Reaction score
I am planning on building up a 440 and planting in the duster, but i have a few questions about k-members. Did they make big block K-members specifically for A-bodies? And if so, how common are they to find? Or would it be easier to just find a small block k member and get an adapter kit?

I have a 318 in the duster right now, but its sitting on a /6 k member.

Any suggestions?

Joe

if i were you i would order a engine swap kit from schuemacher creative industries. There were some a bodies in the later 60s that had a factory big block (like 383 dart gts) but are very rare and expensive. the kit from creative industries will bolt right on to your slant six k member and you can drop a 440 right in. they have a good reputation and pretty good prices

It would be much easier and cheaper to get the conversion mounts. They are even available for /6 K-members.

Chuck

will that be safe enough? dropping a big block on a /6 k member? Will i have to change torsion bars or add a sway bar or anything like that? How much heavier is a 440 compared to a 318?

You should change the torsion bars and add bigger brakes but the k-members are the same as far as strength is concerned. It's just the location of the engine mounts that are different.

Chuck

In the late 70's to early 80's chrysler (direct connection) sold a big block k member for a bodies. I used one to put the big block in my duster. they still show up on ebay or at moparts.com once in a while. offhand, I'd say they have been going for around $350 plus motor mounts. There's something in the tech section at bigblockdart.com about making one too if you have access to a welder.

In the late 70's to early 80's chrysler (direct connection) sold a big block k member for a bodies. I used one to put the big block in my duster. they still show up on ebay or at moparts.com once in a while. offhand, I'd say they have been going for around $350 plus motor mounts. There's something in the tech section at bigblockdart.com about making one too if you have access to a welder.

A few years back I seen a Big Block spool mount A-body K-member! I wander if it was a direct connection or fab!

-
Back