KA-thunk

-

Gadabout

Reaction score
The 3 speed original tranny on the '60 Val winds up pretty high between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and sort of slams into gear with a ka-thunk. I lessen this by letting off the gas at a lower rate of speed and pausing until the transmission finds the next higher gear, with less noise and jarring.

I don't mind living with it, as I am not interested in rabbit starts. The issue is what am I looking at? Is this just the noises of an old car, or is it a death noise?

Hold on. brb. I'm going to flip a coil whether it's a manual or automatic transmission.

the stock trans should shift smoother than the legs on the checkstand girl down at the piggly wiggly.

me thinks you needs a service. or maybe just some fluid.

Could be a poorly adjusted kickdown that is pushed too far back (towards the firewall) for a given throttle position. Post a pic of the setup?

Could be a poorly adjusted kickdown that is pushed too far back (towards the firewall) for a given throttle position. Post a pic of the setup?
That's what I was thinking, IF it turns out to be an automatic.

Change the fluid. Back off on the throttle pressure. Or could be Line pressure is to high. (Allen bolt on the valve body) If your shifting it manually it will have overlap if your starting in low/1st on the gear selector .
Pull out with the lever in drive and then put the shift lever to low after the car starts moving. You'll find that it will shift different manually if you do this. High Line pressure will cause your symptom. I had a truck like that and it really clunked into the next gear if you left off the throttle to much as it was ready to shift.

If it is a 3 speed auto from 1960; isn’t that a cast iron with dual pumps (front and rear)? Not the tf we assume it is?
That is IF RRR is correct after the coin flip?

If it is a 3 speed auto from 1960; isn’t that a cast iron with dual pumps (front and rear)? Not the tf we assume it is?
That is IF RRR is correct after the coin flip?
It's like the tootsie roll pop. The world will never know.

That's what I was thinking, IF it turns out to be an automatic.
I had to walk the boys at the shop how to gently shift out of park to engage D. Sorry for delay, was working a string of graves.

20240324_220314 (1).jpg

Last edited:
-
Back