Keep blowing intake gaskets...

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
I have a 5.9l magnum in my 72 demon that I swapped out the efi stuff for a air gap intake and holley 750 carb and I'm having a problem with the intake manifold gaskets blowing out. Its got a stock bottom end, stock heads with 1.6 roller rockers, hughes 1110 valvesprings, and I think its a comp cam, specs are: .487" intake @231* and .497 exhaust @234* duration.

Earlier last summer I probably put on a couple hundred miles before both the front and rear of the intake had leaks in it. When I put the intake on I did use black rtv on both of the end rails instead of the cork gaskets. I figured I had a PCV problem that had caused it but now I dont know. I had a PCV valve for a stock 5.9l hooked up to the back of the carb in one valve cover and just a regular push in type oil cap in the other.

I thought maybe because of the aftermarket cam and non-vented oil cap maybe the crankcase pressure was building up and blew them out. So what I did was I found a PCV valve that seemed to be used a lot in lower than normal vacuum applications with aftermarket cams with a lot of duration (even though mine doesn't have a whole lot) and also got rid of the oil cap and installed a push in breather in the other valve cover.

Well again after about 1000 or so miles I noticed the front of the intake looked a bit oily and while not nearly as bad as last time there is a small leak there.

What could be causing these leaks??? I'm definitely going to use a straightedge on the manifold and where it sits on the block to make sure they are flat and I'm also going to use "The right stuff" RTV instead of the normal black stuff. Anybody have any other suggestions??

Leak down test is???? Blow by?

Before I swapped in the camshaft I did a compression test all cylinders were about 180 if I remember right. Did one afterwards sometime in the middle of the summer just to see what effect it had and all cylinders were still within 10% of each other. I noticed the #1 cylinder had the lowest compression, 157 when the highest I think ~170. The motors also got some miles on it so its not perfect I should mention. I don't notice any excessive smoke coming from the exhaust or out the valvecovers either.

I did just recently get a leakdown tester and was planning on checking it out for lol. Should I fix the intake gasket before I do the test?

There's a TSB on this. If I find it I'll post it here. Magnums are notorious for this.

Its the magnum fuel injection intake that has that problem, He has a regular intake....

I've heard of having the same problems even using the regular intake. When you take it apart is it blowing in the same general spot? It may be time to take it to a machinist.

I've heard of having the same problems even using the regular intake. When you take it apart is it blowing in the same general spot? It may be time to take it to a machinist.

The first time it went out, both the front and rear rails were leaking. This last time it looked like it was just the front, and a much smaller leak. I put it back together and so far so good. If it goes again I'll have it checked out.

I'm also running a 5.9 magnum with an Edelbrock Air-gap intake. The intake gasket kit I used is OEM replacement (Fel-Pro from Autozone) for a magnum engine and it came with rubber seals for the end rails so I used them. The only rtv I used was on the corners. Been driving the car pretty regularly since July and haven't had any issues.

-
Back