Keep the Heater Box?

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
Hey FABO, thanks again for the guidance.

I'm wondering if anyone that is running an aftermarket AC unit can chime in? Did you need to use the original heater box, or does the vendor supply something else?

Companies like Vintage Air, Classic Auto Air, etc.

I have the original box, out of the car now. I'm finishing up my dash restoration and don't know if I should spend any time on this or not. Also, I have no idea how to bench test the blower motor, so I don't know if my unit even works or not.

Thanks for any help on this.

I used classic auto air and got everything in one kit. Heater box is smaller than original and fits fine just need a few holes in firewall. If you have dash out that is the time to install the heater box. Everything mounted, installed and connected fine. One A/C hose had the end on it clocked wrong but would have worked. I had it cut off and turned to the angle I thought it needed....Just me being picky. I ordered it during lunch one day and everything arrived the next day. My original heater box is in pieces and sitting on shelf in the shop with all the new parts to rebuild it. May never get to rebuilding it. lol. The A/C is always cold enough to freeze you out. Good luck on your project.

I took my heater box out years ago. I never drive my car during the winter or any time that I would need heat. Installed an aftermarket AC and everything fit fine..
I did coldmaster out of Florida and I think I was a little over $500 for everything....
I do think they have heat and AC units as well. They're more universal...

I did on early A - less room to start with. anyhow I did a Vintage Air def, heat, ac Compact II box- universal. Had to move some stuff around but fit better than the original. I’m happy with it. Looks proper also to the untrained eye.

I did on early A - less room to start with. anyhow I did a Vintage Air def, heat, ac Compact II box- universal. Had to move some stuff around but fit better than the original. I’m happy with it. Looks proper also to the untrained eye.

Got a pic of that under the dash? I was considering that same unit on my 65.

F0B2233F-CA15-4397-9413-F961E65CE736.jpeg
Best I could do. Picture of old and new box and the only picture I have of the car inside going back together about a year ago.
D97F0A5F-C5E9-4B61-BAC4-3E9EB7E9C397.jpeg

-
Back