Keeps getting to hot

-

Mopar85

Reaction score
I have a 440 in my 73 duster and i cannot keep her cool.
I have a griffin aluminum radiator, mezere electric water pump and two electric fans and she would overheat after a short trip. so I built a fan shroud and installed it but she is still getting two hot 230+. I have tried water wetter with no luck or change at all.

Does anyone have some tips or tricks on how to cool her down? :banghead:

Here are a few photos of the engine bay

Attachments

• 2012-07-05_19-27-29_479.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 348
  • 2012-07-05_19-27-43_146.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 2012-07-05_19-28-01_996.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 342
What about the engine timing?

Crazy question, Are you sure fans are oulling air not pushing?

Mike

Try a 50/50 solution of anti freeze and distilled water. One bottle of water wetter. Water wetter works best with water. The more anti freeze the less effective it is.

Doesnt look like it can move much air. That style of shroud looks like it dont let air move over the entire core well at all.

You need fans that move more air.

I would guess that you are running a 727 with a hi stall speed torque converter? Do you have a supplemental trans cooler? The higher the stall speed, the larger trans cooler you need. This is especially true if you are not using a lock up torque converter on a longer trip at highway speeds.

What's your total timing ?
What carb/jets (lean condition) ?
Antifreeze to water ratio ?

Water wetter will not do a thing with a 50/50 antifreeze/water mix.

For the summer go to a 80 distilled water/20 antifreeze mix with water wetter.
Adjust total timming to 34 degrees.
Try these two things first. Made a huge difference for me.

Next step...Possibly fattening up the carb.

Another thing I did,was remove the front lic plate.

I missed the shroud part. Does it only allow air to be pulled through the radiator? If it does then as others have stated not enough flow. The only other question is how fast is the flow? Could it be too fast and thus not allowing efficient heat transfer? Also I have seen some cooling systems where the fans pushed air through the radiator. But of course that would require a good tight shroud as well. Just thinking there is very little room for the air to flow after the fans. You could be seeing some cavitiation of the fans.

I want to clarify on my post. Not enough good flow as others have stated. I failed to identify the flow re being too fast. That flow would be coolant. I seem to recall being told by a engine designer once that taking out the thermostat in an engine could actually make it run hotter. That the thermostat served two functions. One to allow the engine to heat up when it is cold by not flowing coolant through the radiator, but he also saidf that the thermostat controls the rate of flow. That if the coolant flows too rapidly through the engine and the radiator, the heat transfer is less efficient. Kind of like you can touch something hot for an instant and not feel the heat. But longer and you get burned. I am wondering if the electric water pump may not providing too much pressure and thus the collant flow is actually working less efficiently in heat transfer.

1600 CFM is not nearly enough for a big block.
Simple as that.

Had the same problems at one point. Tried numerous electric fans up to 2200 cfm and nothing was good enough. Eventually switched back to a clutch fan with a custom fiberglass shroud. Problem solved. You're in 29 Palms and it gets hot as hell there... I know, I spent eight years in the Corps and plenty of time there, oohrah! I'm not sure you're going to be able to keep it cool out there without converting to a belt driven fan and water pump. Yeah it'll cost some hp, but it's worth it to not have to stress about overheating everytime you're sitting at a light.

On second thought, after taking a closer look at those picture, there's not much room for anything in there! Options are kind of limited I think

It is a very tight fit in the engine bay. 3" 3/4 from face of the radiator to the back of the water pump. I recently made the fan shroud from fiberglass hoping that it would move more air. It covers the radiator from tank to tank and helped out a little bit. I have been looking at upgrading fans for a while now. Has anyone ever used Pro Comp fans?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PROCOMP-ELECTRIC-COOLING-AUTOMOTIVE-RADIATOR/dp/B001FTLNMO"]Amazon.com: PROCOMP 12" INCH ELECTRIC COOLING AUTOMOTIVE RADIATOR FAN CURVED 12 VOLT: Automotive[/ame]

I know you typically get what you pay for but it never hurts to get some actual user opinions.
The thermostat is a Middilon 180 high flow and the water pump is 40 GPM.
I was thinking that it wasn't getting enough air flow because of the motor plate causing cavitation. I have been thinking about cutting and moving the radiator forward as far as i can. I have measured an it might free up close to 1.5 inches.
the air/fuel ratio is usually around 12.8 to 1 at idle the goes down to 11/12 to 1 at cruising speeds.

I the attached photo is just a picture of my Zetronics ZT-2 duel setup with Dash Daq display. The car was off in the photo. It was not at 21.0 to 1.

Attachments

• 2012-03-31_15-47-00_957.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 262
I was also hoping that my new hood would help keep her a little bit cooler. I just put on the six pack hood a week or so ago.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I greatly appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 2012-06-16_19-56-31_740.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 2011-08-23_19-00-14_631.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 266
Oh geez. You gotta big block Mopar and want to cool it with a 16 buck fan. I'm out.

Mainly wanted information about them to confirm my suspicion. I haven't read into them to much and the reviews are hit or miss on quality. I was mainly interested based on the cfm and price.

Ditto,

:roll:

You need a ton of air pulling through that radiator and it needs to be done efficiently. That Summit unit looks good for $245. How much ya got into that Big Block? 8 9 grand? Come on !!

-
Back