Keith black 383 pistons

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
Is or has anyone used the kb-400 domed 383 pistons? If so how did ya like them

Is or has anyone used the kb-400 domed 383 pistons? If so how did ya like them

Put em in the GTS engine . Haven't installed motor yet or fired up. There's a few pages on the engine build in my rest thread at the bottom of this page. Tell what you think about it.

Your build looks great, close to what im doing, stock everything 65 383 with 528 mopar cam and street dominator intake, i took the head off and blemded all the bowls and touched up the ports, and put in new valve seals, thile it was apart i checked a rod bearig and they should be replaced, the rings also dont seal very well anymre so it be easy to lightly hone te bores and throw some new pistons rings and bearings in it to be safe, and the kb-400 pistons look great and would put me at around 10-10.5:1 with 78cc heads

Your build looks great, close to what im doing, stock everything 65 383 with 528 mopar cam and street dominator intake, i took the head off and blemded all the bowls and touched up the ports, and put in new valve seals, thile it was apart i checked a rod bearig and they should be replaced, the rings also dont seal very well anymre so it be easy to lightly hone te bores and throw some new pistons rings and bearings in it to be safe, and the kb-400 pistons look great and would put me at around 10-10.5:1 with 78cc heads

Yeah, Since I have a numbers block and heads, I didn't want to cut the deck down and lose the stampings. Took .010 off the heads , but they are open chamber 906's. Again, I didn't want to port on the heads,since they are original.The pistons were '024 in the hole, and I'm using a steel shim gasket. Should be about one point lower in compression(9.47) than what you are doing. I thinking that that cam I chose will work well since it has a 112 LSA and a dual pattern for longer ex open. Since I want to use the Stock (impossible to find exhaust manifolds) as well. I just hope I didn't use too much cam. What is your thought on the Cam I used?

I think ur cam choice was great, its close to the 528 but a modern profile, and tighter spread, shpuld be great for what your doing, is it solid or hudralic? headers would probably bup you up a good bit but keeping it original with the manifolds is great, im sure they will work fine, what converter and gear are you using?

I advanced the Hydraulic cam by 1deg because when I degreed it it was 1deg retarded. Did this as I have a 3:23 gear. I did get a 2600 B&M. Where in Md are you. I am in So. Md. south of Annap.

I think youll be very happy with how it runs, where did u buy the pistons from? Did th come with pins and rings? Did you use the press fit or floating pins?.... And not tooo far from you, im up in westminster if you know where thats at

Pistons and rings came from Summit as a set. Did set the upper rings at .030, secondary ones were ok at .019. Press fit pins. Just a street engine. Been to Westminster and New Windsor many times.

Shoot me a pm next time your up this way... If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for the pistons and rings?

Thats not bad, cheapest ive seen is like 420 with rings from rpm machine

I used them in my last 440 with 88cc heads and a .528 MPP cam. Knocked on 500hp at 5600rpm.

Rocco, what heads did you have in the 440? The 383 should make that just at a highr rpm, and maybe some more duration, i think the 528 cam is like 241* @.50

I am running the k 400 pistons in my 383 4 speed. Stock 68 Cuda with 68 road runner cam. I also left block deck alone do to matching numbers engine. Happy with them so far.

Rocco, what heads did you have in the 440? The 383 should make that just at a highr rpm, and maybe some more duration, i think the 528 cam is like 241* @.50

Heads were Hensley Racing Blueprinted Performer RPM heads with 88cc chambers.

MPP cam is [email protected], .528 lift with factory rocker or .557 with 1:6 (I used 1:6's on that engine) 112ls, 110 installed centerline.

I am building an engine now with .060 over KB 400 pistons. I had problem with the first one though.
My first 383 was .030 over with KB400s stock rods were honed to float on the pins. the engine was a roller cam motor with stage 4 heads around 12 to 1 compression. Ran 11.00 flat in the quarter in a minitubbed 67 barracuda for about 40 runs the engine broke after shifting into 2nd at 6500rpm. inspection revealled that cylinders 7 and 8 broke after the wrist pins locked up. The pins were gun metal blue and seized in what was left of the pistons.

Since then I have used KB240 pistons (same thing but for the 400 and flat top) with Eagle full floating rods, and have at least 60 passes shifting at right around 7000rpm. this engine has no block filler. But the next one will have.

Ican understand why, gotta et oil in there, mine will be press on tho, is that still a need then?

Ican understand why, gotta et oil in there, mine will be press on tho, is that still a need then?

No need to worry if you didn't have them made full floating. Just make sure the pins in the piston sides are lubed well.

If my memory serves me properly, I think I had .050 . I sure hope so. LOL

Haha, yea hope so, i know the .528 will be fine but was wodering how big i could go

-
Back