Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers help

-

cudascott

It’s a sickness!
Reaction score
Whats the best way to remove stuck pistons from these calipers
Thanks

Have you tried a blowgun in the fluid port with your compressor jacked up as high as it will go? If that doesn't work maybe some others have a better solution. When they were unused for a long time and corroded bad i just replaced them.

You use a grease gun, and pump them out hydraulically.
You need to fabricate something up, that will screw into one of the hose threaded ports, and block off the other port.
You will need to use "C" clamps to limit the travel of the pistons, as they will start to come out of their bores unevenly, or use a block of wood in a vice, and then slowly open the vice as your pumping in the grease, and the pistons start to come out.
Use your imagination, and you can figure it out.
Here's some tools that were available, back in the day, to get the job done.
Good luck.
Jim V.

Attachments

• Tools 014 [640x480].jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 368
  • Tools 015 [640x480].jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 391
  • Tools 016 [640x480].jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 362
Whats the best way to remove stuck pistons from these calipers
Thanks

Use a grease gun and adapt it direct to the caliper is what another member suggested that rebuilds these all the time. In my way of thinking I buy a new Raybestos Proffessional Grade caliper from Rock Auto since they can be bought for under $52.00 plus shipping and return core shipping. With the $13.00 per side for the rubber kit and the $12.54 per piston I may end up spending more money doing it myself.

Wow Jim, those are some cool tools. I used to turn the piston side down on the bench and try to get both to pop. Wish i had stuff like that to use:D.

Ya, the tools that were invented back in the day, to get the job done, sure are nice to have.
Here's photo of the official Miller Special Tool that i also have.
Using air pressure to blow them out works, but only if the pistons haven't been stuck in their bores.
Then you need to be very carefull that they don't become exploding missels off the shop walls.

Attachments

• Tools 003 [640x480].jpg
    121 KB · Views: 372
Cool I"ll give the grease gun a try
Thanks

The ones I have taken apart the chrome on the pistons have been bad. That's one reason there so hard to get apart. I second just buying a rebuilt if you can find them. I like the stainless piston rebuilt caliper but they are pricey.

I have a couple sets of cores laying around I'm going to try that grease pumping them out. I've done the air trick and it's not really that safe even with rags wrapped around everything.:D

Just get a set of Raybestos rebuilt calipers from rock auto, and send the old ones in for core charge. Parts for these things cost more than the rebuilt calipers all assembled, bead blasted clean, and coated. Don’t forget to order the hardware kit; it is new stuff to hold pads in place.

Once you get the old caliper striped of pistons, you will still have to deal with pitted bores that will most likely need attention beyond honing.

-
Back