kelsey hayes brake swap need info

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
i should be getting ready to do my brake swap on my 70 swinger from the 4 wheel manual drum brakes to the kelsey hayes disc setup. I beleive i have all the parts i need form my research besides porportioning valve, master cylinder and brake lines.

First question is there any good links around for write ups with info and pics on doing the swap like 7071dartgtreg did on the 73up bbp swap?

Also i am going to do the brakes and suspension before i get the car painted. So i wasnt planning on adding the master cylinder and brake lines until i get the car back to make painting the engine bay easier. So would it cause any problems with the seals or anything to blow compressed air into the caliper to get the pistons touching the pads and pads touching the rotors? I was thinking this would be the best way without running lines and the master cylinder although thats why i am asking before i scew something up.

thanks for any info
mark

i should be getting ready to do my brake swap on my 70 swinger from the 4 wheel manual drum brakes to the kelsey hayes disc setup. I beleive i have all the parts i need form my research besides porportioning valve, master cylinder and brake lines.

First question is there any good links around for write ups with info and pics on doing the swap like 7071dartgtreg did on the 73up bbp swap?

Also i am going to do the brakes and suspension before i get the car painted. So i wasnt planning on adding the master cylinder and brake lines until i get the car back to make painting the engine bay easier. So would it cause any problems with the seals or anything to blow compressed air into the caliper to get the pistons touching the pads and pads touching the rotors? I was thinking this would be the best way without running lines and the master cylinder although thats why i am asking before i scew something up.

thanks for any info
mark

I would not run compressed air through the caliper unless you want to replace the seals, and maybe re-hone the piston cylinders and replace the pistons (BTW- Kelsey Hayes pistons = very expensive).

thanks that link does have decent info but mostly geared toward the bbp swap to the later 73up disc brakes not too much info on the kelsey hayes setup

Thanks for the info i wont use compressed air on my new calipers. I will just do it with my old cores i got with my setup and replace them with the new ones when i get the car back from paint and run the brake lines. thanks for he heads up.

Still looking for more info or a link for the kelsey hayes swap might start taking apart the suspension tomorrow.

Do the brake change before you paint under the hood. Got my 69 Dart back from paint shop (Just under hood, interior and trunk) and started brake change. Found rust under the upper A frames. Welding will ruin the paint in engine compartment. This is a very common place to find rust and should be addressed as it is structural in nature. The inner mounts for the A frames rust free from the frame rails.
Kelsey-Hayes calipers are $142 each at OReilly"s.

Kelsey Hayes calipers are available from a variety of sources and are relatively inexpensive (less than $142 each, as posted in an earlier thread).

Please use the SEARCH function on this forum (BRAKES) to locate info. concerning price and availability of the K-H brake calipers, as well as other K-H components (rotors, wheel bearings, seals, hoses, etc.).

I have not checked recently, but a few months ago, Rock Auto had the K-H calipers for about $69/each.

-
Back