Kelsey Hays Rotor stud replacement??

-

Russ H

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a K-H SBP front disc brake setup for my 68 Barracuda. The setup comes with hubs not attached to the new rotors and without the studs. My question is how do the hubs attach to the rotors and are the KH wheel studs readily available.

Any help is much appreciated.

Russ

Studs are available on rockauto and the way it works is the rotor sits on top of the hubs and the studs are splined through the two.

Here's a pic of my setup before I replaced the rotors and studs:

Here is a comparison of the original and the new stud:

I believe I got rotors from rockauto for about $40-60 a piece. Mine are from Wagner:

Unless you are looking for originality... save yourself some grief and money... by an aftermarket sbp or lbp kit ... been there and done that ... if i had to do it again... i would of bought wilwood kit !

Unless you are looking for originality... save yourself some grief and money... by an aftermarket sbp or lbp kit ... been there and done that ... if i had to do it again... i would of bought wilwood kit !

RR Volare.

You have my attention, Can you explain some of the grief you encountered with the KH Brakes. I am a firm believer in learning from others experiences and lessons learned from them.

Russ

Studs are available on rockauto and the way it works is the rotor sits on top of the hubs and the studs are splined through the two.

Here's a pic of my setup before I replaced the rotors and studs:

Here is a comparison of the original and the new stud:

I believe I got rotors from rockauto for about $40-60 a piece. Mine are from Wagner:

Thank you very much for the information. I have one more question, Are the stud holes in the hub splined kind of like a gear?

Russ

I am not trying to discourage you in anyway first of all... i am assuming you are switching from drum to KH disc ????
I do not know what KH parts you are buying ....
You may want to elaborate on price/condition and actual parts you are purshasing to start overhaul first ... and then i will elaborate... Thanks

I am not trying to discourage you in anyway first of all... i am assuming you are switching from drum to KH disc ????
You may want to elaborate on price/condition and actual parts you are purshasing to start overhaul first ... and then i will elaborate... Thanks

rrvolare

New rotors, new bearings, new seals, new hoses, new hardware package. Used hubs, calipers, spindles, dust shields, lower ball joints and attaching hardware. All used parts are in very good condition. no studs. Price, just lets say very reasonable.

Russ

rrvolare

New rotors, new bearings, new seals, new hoses, new hardware package. Used hubs, calipers, spindles, dust shields, lower ball joints and attaching hardware. All used parts are in very good condition. no studs. Price, just lets say very reasonable.

Russ

Thank you very much for the information. I have one more question, Are the stud holes in the hub splined kind of like a gear?

Russ

Yes sir. I had a member here press them in, but I have heard some members doing it through another method. The KH system is a good system but parts are rare and expensive. The only reason why I didn't go bbp from my KH setup was because my car already had the discs up front and I didn't have enough money, time, or skills to convert the rear to bbp. I replaced calipers, rotors, studs, bearings, seals, and the MC. Overall it cost me about $300-500 I'd assume. I don't like to keep count.

I have found that the success in building the Kelsey Hayes disc brakes is not buying junk rotors (Centric) and buying quality used parts to begin with. The left hand threaded studs are no longer available new (unless you find a stash) so you will have to used rights. Off the top of my head the stud part numbers are either 610-130 and 610-131 I don't remember which is right and which is left. I have three sets of Kelsey Hayes and I love them.

hemi71x is a member that rebuilds them when he finds some and has sold the all over the world.
Here is an example of what he has sold .http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=218827

Some of the aftermarket kits I have seen use Celebrity calipers so in a few years how available will those be?

I have found that the success in building the Kelsey Hayes disc brakes is not buying junk rotors (Centric) and buying quality used parts to begin with. The left hand threaded studs are no longer available new (unless you find a stash) so you will have to used rights. Off the top of my head the stud part numbers are either 610-130 and 610-131 I don't remember which is right and which is left. I have three sets of Kelsey Hayes and I love them.

hemi71x is a member that rebuilds them when he finds some and has sold the all over the world.
Here is an example of what he has sold .http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=218827

Some of the aftermarket kits I have seen use Celebrity calipers so in a few years how available will those be?

Good information..........Thank you very much.

Russ

Good information..........Thank you very much.

Russ

Here is another tid bit of information that might interest you. Most parts books/computer programs at the parts store are missing the bearings and seal information on the Kelsey Hayes hubs, they use the same bearings and seal as the 10" drum hubs do for our 72 back A-bodies.

Also should you ever choose to go to big bolt pattern here is a link where Mustang rotors can be machined and used so you can keep the factory Kelsey Hayes brakes.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=20544&highlight=mustang+rotors

Price out a Wilwood kit for front sbp ...
Also did a 68 come with a distribution block instead of proportioning valve ... if that is the case ...AGAIN aren't we going to do something with rear brakes to prevent locking up .. just throwing that out there ..

Price out a Wilwood kit for front sbp ...
Also did a 68 come with a distribution block instead of proportioning valve ... if that is the case ...AGAIN aren't we going to do something with rear brakes to prevent locking up .. just throwing that out there ..

67-72 disk cars should all have had the same setup -- proportioning valve in the rear line, separate from the distribution block. Drum cars won't have the PV. If you are converting form drums, you need some kind of PV -- either try to get the original one and the rear brake lines along with the other used K-H parts, or get an aftermarket unit and a short length of brake line so you can plumb it in.

BTW, Summit sells Made In USA slotted crossdrilled rotors for the K-H brakes, for amazingly cheap. Also ceramic pads (easier on the rotor than semimetallic, and don't require warm up).

-
Back