Key IN switch wiring-- 1971 Duster

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
I am inside the steering column and directly under the ignition switch is a switch that alerts when the key is in the ignition,
My problem is I have look thru ever schematic I can find and can not find the wiring to that switch.
On my schematic there is the Horn relay and key in buzzer. but that is the last and only referral to the key in buzzer. Nothing on related wiring.

I needed to cut the wiring when I removed the dash. I took wire labels and placed them on the wire 1/2 inch apart, then cut the wire between the labels. I can not find the other end of the wires and can not find any drawings to help me.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Ed

Wiring should go down to the ignition switch plug next to the steering column. At least in my car is all in the same plug.

The buzzer is a little molded plastic thing with contact points and two longer red wires coming off it. IIRC the actual 122buzzer is either above or behind the left kick panel but don’t quote me on that. So the wires would have to go through the column/ignition switch connector and into the dash harness and terminate wherever the buzzer lives.

On my ‘71 there was an accessory time delay relay I believe for the interior courtesy lamps. Could that be what you’re looking at?

Why would you need to cut any wiring to remove anything? Everything plugs together in these cars except for the ammeter ring terminals

Why would you need to cut any wiring to remove anything? Everything plugs together in these cars except for the ammeter ring terminals

6 or 7 years ago, I rewired the car. I did not purchase a wire loom from anyone, I rewired everything wire for wire. I have schematics of the entire car and as built drawings for any changes I made to the basic schematic. For instance the Duster comes with (I think) 5 little glass fuses. I have placed most all the circuits on their own fuses. I am using at least 24 fuses in the car. My fuse blocks are mounted just behind the glove compartment door.
I work off of schematics, not someone else's' wire looms.

at times it looks like a wire rat's nest, but it is my wire rat's nest

6 or 7 years ago, I rewired the car. I did not purchase a wire loom from anyone, I rewired everything wire for wire. I have schematics of the entire car and as built drawings for any changes I made to the basic schematic. For instance the Duster comes with (I think) 5 little glass fuses. I have placed most all the circuits on their own fuses. I am using at least 24 fuses in the car. My fuse blocks are mounted just behind the glove compartment door.
I work off of schematics, not someone else's' wire looms

Ah, which is why it isn't as easy as just finding the plug for the ignition switch.

In my most recent wiring project, I actually added connections just so I didn't have to cut wires to get things apart next time.

Not certain your '71 is the same, but in my '74 the power comes from the buzzer (behind the left side of the IP) down to the ignition plug at the column and up to the switch. From the switch it goes back down to the ignition plug and then follows the wiring harness to the door switch.

Maybe that helps?

-
Back