Key stuck in ignition?

-

jmg72

Reaction score
Okay this was a new one for me. Ignition key stuck in the ignition. I can turn the car on, turn the car off, everything works just can't pull the key out.

(1966 Dart automatic)

Any ideas? Thanks.
Jmg

Last edited:
Okay this was a new one for me. Ignition key stuck in the ignition. I can turn the car on, turn the car off, everything works just can't pull the key out.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Jmg
What car are we talking about?

Have you tried the key release button switch or lever whatever maybe there. Alot of cars have locks that won't let you take the ignition back far enough to take the key out but far enough to shut it off

This wouldn't happen to be a car that was changed to a floor shifter would it?
If so the column collar could have moved locking the key in.

No key release in the 66.
Not converted. Still column shift. All original.
Had car over a year. Never did it before.

Thx

Folks, a '66 Dart doesn't have any kind of ignition key interlock with the shifter (any kind of shifter) or any other part. There is no release button to remove the key, either.

The '66 Dart in question has an ignition lock cylinder that has failed, plain and simple. The fix is a replacement ignition lock cylinder, that is this one. If you want the same key to operate the doors and ignition, take the new cylinder and one of the car's existing keys to a good locksmith. Once you have the new lock cylinder in hand, replace it:

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
2. Place the blade of a small flathead screwdriver in one of the slots of the ignition key bezel, and use a small hammer to carefully tap the screwdriver so it nudges the bezel counterclockwise. It shouldn't take much tapping before the bezel can be unscrewed without the hammer. Do so.
3. Maneuver the lock cylinder and ignition switch assembly forward so it exits the dashboard; drop it down below the dash to work with it.
4. Unplug the multi-wire connector (good opportunity to inspect and make sure the wires are in good shape)
5. Find the little brass lock pin visible through a small window in the shank of the ignition switch. Use a screwdriver to firmly press it while turning the ignition key to the "Start" position. Hold the key in that position and pull the lock cylinder out of the switch.
6. Install the new lock cylinder in the switch the same way (key held in "Start")
7. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Sounds like one of the springs inside the cylinder broke causing one of the pins(dogs) to hang up not allowing the key to pass. You can try spraying some WD or graphite inside by the key and wiggling to see if it will release. If not, the ignition switch would have to be removed and disassembled to access the lock cylinder. If you do this make sure every part in the cylinder stays in the exact order as it came out, as the pins are different lengths , as this is how they are coded, or as reply before mine, take cylinder to a locksmith

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking the cylinder sprang a spring or clip internally. But I was hoping I was missing something. One can hope! Drat.

I'll give the manual a gander on cylinder extraction... Hopefully it can be done without major surgery...

ah yes. that is what happens when you read it on your phone. thanks!

Hi all.

Just a closure update. I was able to take the key cylinder out and to the lock smith thanks to slantsixdan's help (post #6 above). We got it cleaned out and re-assembled, and it works again. Nothing broken - just filled with grease and crap. Whew!

SIDE NOTE: slantsixdan - The link you provided above for a replacement cylinder for my 66 Dart was actually not the correct replacement. I ordered it, but the key cut is different, so not interchangeable with the '66. It is the same as my '62 Dodge Lancer's key, but contrary to what amazon says, it is not compatible with the '66 Dart. (My Dart does have original ignition and door cylinders, and they are indeed different). Just be aware!

thanks for the help, Dan and all.
JMG

Just sharing what I see. Keys with that Amazon cylinder did not fit the 66... But come to think of it... the cylinder provided from Amazon was kinda crapy... they might have sent the wrong part.

But I know MY car's cylinders and keys are correct. And the one they sent was different. That is all I know for sure.

There's a difference in the contour and size of one of the slots that runs along the length of the key shank in '60-'67 vs. '68-up keys. This usually doesn't prevent interchange, but on occasion it does. Sounds like that's the case you hit. As for parts quality: yeah, even major-brand repair parts for old cars aren't what they used to be. If you want OE-quality American-made parts, you have to buy from the likes of Old Car Parts Northwest.

Thats exactly what happened. My 65 did the same thing. One of the brass pins broke in the tumblers & key got stuck. Take the whole ign switch to a reputable lock smith to have the replace the pins.

Sounds like one of the springs inside the cylinder broke causing one of the pins(dogs) to hang up not allowing the key to pass. You can try spraying some WD or graphite inside by the key and wiggling to see if it will release. If not, the ignition switch would have to be removed and disassembled to access the lock cylinder. If you do this make sure every part in the cylinder stays in the exact order as it came out, as the pins are different lengths , as this is how they are coded, or as reply before mine, take cylinder to a locksmith

-
Back