Keys & locks....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Have a couple of key rings full of keys....and several locks without keys....:banghead:

I know the feeling! I have 3 lock cylinders and several keys sitting on desk alone.

Not to kidnap this thread but.......

It takes a lot of coaxing to get the key to turn in the cylinder of my 69. I'm not sure if it's a bad cylinder or the fifth generation key I inherited when I bought her.
Can a locksmith re-key a cylinder?

Not to kidnap this thread but.......

It takes a lot of coaxing to get the key to turn in the cylinder of my 69. I'm not sure if it's a bad cylinder or the fifth generation key I inherited when I bought her.
Can a locksmith re-key a cylinder?

Heck you can rekey a cylinder at home.

I do it all the time, simple and easy.

If it's anything like a normal keying process then I hope you got a steady hand and good eyes!

If it's anything like a normal keying process then I hope you got a steady hand and good eyes!

Have repined (?) our home/garage locks several times. A steady hand & good eyes are indeed VERY important. Spread newspaper out on a table, tape the edges. And have plenty of light....

I've never understood that. I see people walking around with key rings with 20 keys on them.

I have 4 houses in 4 cities on 2 continents, plus a shop with 8 bay doors, 5 trucks and an SUV, and my keyring has 3 keys on it, and I can open every lock, and start every vehicle, except my Dart.

I've never understood that. I see people walking around with key rings with 20 keys on them.

I have 4 houses in 4 cities on 2 continents, plus a shop with 8 bay doors, 5 trucks and an SUV, and my keyring has 3 keys on it, and I can open every lock, and start every vehicle, except my Dart.

These key rings that have all the unknown keys are rings that are just sitting on a shelf. Rings for the vehicles have only a key for the rig, the house/garage, the lock on the roll-up doors and the breaker box. We also have a ring in each vehicle with the PO box key and key to the gate. Had a discussion a while back with a lock-smith about keeping the weight hanging off of the ignition switch to a minimum.

One of the custodians that I used to work with at the PO had one of those rings with countless keys on it. He needed every last one.....all of the different offices he cleaned at the PO had a different key....and there was no master....Ron knew where each key was used...

One of the custodians that I used to work with at the PO had one of those rings with countless keys on it. He needed every last one.....all of the different offices he cleaned at the PO had a different key....and there was no master....Ron knew where each key was used...

Having a key ring that you use for work is one thing, Adding your personal keys to that keyring and constantly carrying around even when your not working is ridiculous, but I know people who do just that.

I have one key that opens every door, and every lock at any have my houses and properties, One key that starts all my GM trucks and opens all doors, and the tool boxes on those trucks, and one key that starts all my Dodge trucks, and unlocks the doors and tools boxes on those trucks.

What's more, I can give a key to anyone I like that will operate ONLY one truck, or open the locks at only one house or property.

Everything I have is "master keyed", and "change Keyed", as a result, I have 3 keys that operated everything I own.

I'm a service tech at a apartment complex. We try to key things together that are in the same building or serve the same purpose (like keying different shops to one key). I still have around 15 keys on my key chain though.

We are also in the process of changing locks to every apartment. You want to talk about a key mix up then try managing 400 sets of keys with two different style locks.

I'm a service tech at a apartment complex. We try to key things together that are in the same building or serve the same purpose (like keying different shops to one key). I still have around 15 keys on my key chain though.

We are also in the process of changing locks to every apartment. You want to talk about a key mix up then try managing 400 sets of keys with two different style locks.

I recommend you talk to the people at Best Lock company. They have a keying system that has up to 70,000 possibilities, and the locks use an interchangeable core. Also, keys can not be duplicated by the renters. The Key blanks simply aren't available.

Locks can be rekeyed in 5 seconds if a renter moves out, and and people, like yourself only need 2 keys ( a (master key, and a "Control Key").

Best Locking Systems have been around for Decades, and they work. A situation like yours is precisely what the system was designed for.

I have boxes of keys and then locks in boxes

Some were my Dads

Still have a key to my 1st car which I got rid of in 1975 and one of my old motorcycles

At the barn have a bunch of keys hanging on the key rack, most I have no clue what they go to any more. At one time I started numbering them and had a master list of what they fit, who knows where the list is

As far a so Best Lock, they use to be great and I had them in the factory I took care of.

Was great to be able to have zone keys, master key and single use key.

I could go anywhere in the plant with one key, BUT YES THEY CAN BE COPIED, I use to get them done at the local hardware store. The keys where marked do not duplicate, but since they knew me and what I did it was no problem for me

I could go anywhere in the plant with one key, BUT YES THEY CAN BE COPIED, I use to get them done at the local hardware store. The keys where marked do not duplicate, but since they knew me and what I did it was no problem for me

They do have a general commercial keyway that is commercially available, but Best is a closed system. retailers cannot get the key blanks for their security keyway systems.

Best offers a large group of keyways that retailers simply cannot get key blanks for. In fact, only certain people designated people within a Best customer organization can order key blanks, or cut keys, for that matter in the security keyways.

I recommend you talk to the people at Best Lock company. They have a keying system that has up to 70,000 possibilities, and the locks use an interchangeable core. Also, keys can not be duplicated by the renters. The Key blanks simply aren't available.

Locks can be rekeyed in 5 seconds if a renter moves out, and and people, like yourself only need 2 keys ( a (master key, and a "Control Key").

Best Locking Systems have been around for Decades, and they work. A situation like yours is precisely what the system was designed for.

We have a similiar system with kwikset. When residents move out we put in a core that is keyed to all other vacant units. That way when contractors come to clean or paint or do carpet we give them that key. It is also the same key that gets you in all entry doors. The problem comes up when you have little random locks for garage doors, gates, mail boxes, cable locks, etc. I probably only have four different keys for dead bolt style locks. The other are odd locks that don't take that type of key.

We have a similiar system with kwikset. When residents move out we put in a core that is keyed to all other vacant units. That way when contractors come to clean or paint or do carpet we give them that key. It is also the same key that gets you in all entry doors. The problem comes up when you have little random locks for garage doors, gates, mail boxes, cable locks, etc. I probably only have four different keys for dead bolt style locks. The other are odd locks that don't take that type of key.

Yeah, Schlege has a relatively new keyway system available, too. They call it "Primus". It even requires a special key cutting machine to cut the keys, but it also has all the attributes of the Best and Kwikset systems.

There are plenty of options available for large property owners to limit the number of keys a property manager or maintenance crew have to deal with, and to streamline the the rekeying process, with out disassembling or replacing the lock.

Running around with a load of keys is not only antiquated, but it's actually pretty costly, and time consuming, and not efficient, at all.

I have 2 GM trucks and 3 Rams, I have one key that operates everything on both of the GM trucks including the ignitions, doors, glove boxes, consoles, tailgates, and tool boxes, and one key that operates everything on all of the Ram trucks the same way.

I also have 5 properties, with countless locks and even pad locks, and the third key on my key ring operates every lock at all the properties, including pad locks on the shop doors.

I can also give a person a key to any of my trucks, or properties that will only work that particular truck or property. I refer to that key as the "Service key". It wasn't a difficult or expensive process to set that up, either.

GM offers a lock cylinder that comes "unkeyed". They have them for ignitions, doors, tailgates, glove compartments, consoles, even tool boxes. To key them, you select the key you want to use, and the first time you put the key into the cylinder, it keys the cylinder to THAT key, only.

It was a little more difficult with the Rams, though, I had to take two of the trucks to a lock smith to have them keyed to the first truck. That lock smith also used MoPar lock cylinders to adapt the tool boxes ( not Mopar built-ins) to the Rams ignition key.

Yeah, Schlege has a relatively new keyway system available, too. They call it "Primus". It even requires a special key cutting machine to cut the keys, but it also has all the attributes of the Best and Kwikset systems.

There are plenty of options available for large property owners to limit the number of keys a property manager or maintenance crew have to deal with, and to streamline the the rekeying process, with out disassembling or replacing the lock.

Running around with a load of keys is not only antiquated, but it's actually pretty costly, and time consuming, and not efficient, at all.

I have 2 GM trucks and 3 Rams, I have one key that operates everything on both of the GM trucks including the ignitions, doors, glove boxes, consoles, tailgates, and tool boxes, and one key that operates everything on all of the Ram trucks the same way.

I also have 5 properties, with countless locks and even pad locks, and the third key on my key ring operates every lock at all the properties, including pad locks on the shop doors.

I can also give a person a key to any of my trucks, or properties that will only work that particular truck or property. I refer to that key as the "Service key". It wasn't a difficult or expensive process to set that up, either.

GM offers a lock cylinder that comes "unkeyed". They have them for ignitions, doors, tailgates, glove compartments, consoles, even tool boxes. To key them, you select the key you want to use, and the first time you put the key into the cylinder, it keys the cylinder to THAT key, only.

It was a little more difficult with the Rams, though, I had to take two of the trucks to a lock smith to have them keyed to the first truck. That lock smith also used MoPar lock cylinders to adapt the tool boxes ( not Mopar built-ins) to the Rams ignition key.

I'll reshearch it a little.

-
Back