KH disc brakes, LBP

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Does anyone know if rotors are available in the large bolt pattern for an A-body KH disc set up?

I only know that they're tough to find for SBP. LBP must be rare as hen's teeth.

I don't think they exist, just throwing it out there to see if anyone knew something. I think if you used a combination of parts like a Wilwood hat drilled for dual bolt patterns you might pull it off, but I'm not sure of this. Seems like a lost cause. Too bad! They seem like cool parts.

I've also been told the calipers are trouble. Anyone know why?

More work to restore a KH caliper, 4 pistons & an external balance tube.

Don't know if B-bodys used KHs early on, or Phords used 'em. Don't think AMC did. The GM stuff would be the wrong bolt pattern even if they did use KH.

More work to restore a KH caliper, 4 pistons & an external balance tube.

Don't know if B-bodys used KHs early on, or Phords used 'em. Don't think AMC did. The GM stuff would be the wrong bolt pattern even if they did use KH.

I guess if you did it on a regular basis it would be a pain, but one time seems like no big deal.

I think the 65-66 Mustang used this set up. I just don't know if the rotors interchange.

None that I know of. I don't even think drilling them is an option.

You can't use the early mustang ones because the offest is wrong.

None that I know of. I don't even think drilling them is an option.

You can't use the early mustang ones because the offest is wrong.

That's the info I was looking for, thanks.

I guess if it was doable, it would have been common knowledge at this point. Can't hurt to ask though.

Thanks guys.

There is someone here on this site that did a KH Mustang hub/rotor conversion. It required some machining of the hub to fit on the spindle but it did work.

Chuck

Yea Longgone did the swap,they use the same bearings, they will work with some machining and like you said it's only a one time deal. I think it would be worth the effort, do it once and keep the pads changed.
Hey Chuck where ya been haven't heard from ya for a while

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=20544&highlight=mustang+hub

This should do it.

DW, changed jobs in March and working long hours

Chuck

Thanks. I read through the thread, some good info. The machining seems like it works OK.

SSBC has a full kit, but it's almost $1K. I wonder if you could just use their rotors, bearings and seals if you could find an original complete set up. From the info on their webpage, it looks like the hat is drilled for dual bolt patterns. The rotor specs are 11.25" in diameter and .8125" thick.

Click here for the kit.

Does anyone know if the KH set-up is lighter than the '73-up single-piston caliper system? I have the idea it would be - no sliders or brackets etc.

The '73 - '76 factory LBP setup weighs a little more than the '65-'72 K-H setup, significantly more, if you use the 11.75" police rotors.

The SBC rotors are available from a number of sources, and are not as expensive as many make it sound, but I suspect you want to change to the LBP for a wider wheel options availability. FYI Summit has SBC rotors for $79, and had a sale in October for $69; slotted and cross-drilled replacements.

The K-H calipers have parts available, where you can rebuild/replace the pistons and seals. Also, there are several outsource caliper rebuilders who can upgrade those calipers to stainless steel bore inserts and compatible pistons/seals. These have a lifetime warranty.

Also, there are some parts vendors that sell rebuilt K-H calipers (Cardone is one of several sources).

If anyone cares to detail the total cost of doing the LBP conversion, I'd bet that conversion costs more than rebuilding the K-H calipers and replacing those K-H rotors.

The '73 - '76 factory LBP setup weighs a little more than the '65-'72 K-H setup, significantly more, if you use the 11.75" police rotors.

The SBC rotors are available from a number of sources, and are not as expensive as many make it sound, but I suspect you want to change to the LBP for a wider wheel options availability. FYI Summit has SBC rotors for $79, and had a sale in October for $69; slotted and cross-drilled replacements.

The K-H calipers have parts available, where you can rebuild/replace the pistons and seals. Also, there are several outsource caliper rebuilders who can upgrade those calipers to stainless steel bore inserts and compatible pistons/seals. These have a lifetime warranty.

Also, there are some parts vendors that sell rebuilt K-H calipers (Cardone is one of several sources).

If anyone cares to detail the total cost of doing the LBP conversion, I'd bet that conversion costs more than rebuilding the K-H calipers and replacing those K-H rotors.

It does not say on the summit site whether or not the rotors are LBP, or dual pattern for that matter. Summit shows the same image as what's on the SSBC web site - it certianly looks like the rotor hat has provisions for either one. Guess I can give SSBC a call and see.

Summit has revised the website disc brake application pages.

However, there are several members on this board and on moparts that are using the Summit rotors on their factory K-H 4" SBP disc setup.

You do have to re-use the rotor 'hats' from your old rotors, or buy new ones, which are available from Centric brakes, brakewarehouse.com or several other sources.

Here is the Summit link to the SBP rotors:http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294908077+4294922533+400304+115&autoview=sku

You actually can pay less than $79 by applying the Summit discount code.

If you have time, search this forum, and you should find a lot of info. on availability of SBP K-H disc brakes / SBP rear drum setups. About 8 months - one year ago, someone posted a detailed extensive list of suppliers, and these were checked out as being good.

Check out this thread in this forum, for more info. on SBP and LBP diss brake parts availability:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=44862

It does not say on the summit site whether or not the rotors are LBP, or dual pattern for that matter. Summit shows the same image as what's on the SSBC web site - it certianly looks like the rotor hat has provisions for either one. Guess I can give SSBC a call and see.

Any info on whether or not the SSBC conversion rotors will work on for a stock K-H system?

Go to the Moparts website for the Raybestos, Wagner, NAPA, etc. parts numbers for the SBP rotors.

This is for ONLY SBP --- not LBP rotors that might work with the factory K-H calipers / knuckles.

SSBC SBP rotors could be more expensive that the abovementioned vendors.

Also search this forum for the part numbers. All the aftermarket part vendors that made the SBP rotors were listed about a year or so ago, with the part numbers.

If you need LBP for the factory K-H setup you probably are stuck with SSBC, and I'm not certain that they work.

Any info on whether or not the SSBC conversion rotors will work on for a stock K-H system?

I never got around to finding out about this but looking at the picture, the SSBC rotors look like a dual-pattern rotor hat with the studs installed in the corresponding bolt-pattern holes.

See pic below.

237.jpg

I never got around to finding out about this but looking at the picture, the SSBC rotors look like a dual-pattern rotor hat with the studs installed in the corresponding bolt-pattern holes.

See pic below.

The problem with that rotor is if you use a wheel that is hubcentric instead of lugcentric the hub has nothing to ride on if you use the LBP . I guess one could make a ring that you could put on the hub center to fit a hubcentric wheel as long as it is secured well .

Unless it's got the larger hub size , if that's the case you couldn't use the stock 4" BP wheel ???

Doesn't SSBC sell a spindle with their setup ? If so I'm going out on a limb that you could just install the mustang rotor on it without any mods .

-
Back