kick-down linkage?

-

Tony406

Reaction score
So I finally got the 2.25 exhaust and the 2 bbl carb and intake on...

Now I need to get the kick down? I have been reading over the forums but thought it better to repost to get some fresh answers. I looked on ebay and all of them are about $100 now and for bigger engines.

Some answers would be great guys. Thanks.

And before any body, Johnny Dart, gives the 4 bbl talk I probably will do it down the line but for now I have most of the parts I need and have to move. Meaning drive the car out of state, so time is of the essence.

Well the fresh answer from everyone is - put a lokar cable system on it. The kickdown for a 2bbl is made of solid platinum and gold, and therfor is over $100 anywhere. I always point people to them when I see them for less, but that's the going price. Otherwise use a cable.

I used a weber 38/38 on my supersix manifold and rebent the stock choke rod to work the original kickdown lever on my 68, worked fine. But using the carter bbd it faces a different way and you don't have that option.

I have the Carter two barrel with an electric choke and with clifford headers.

So I need a different choke rod, and a lokar kick-down and throttle linkage?

This might be obvious but I am an automotive novice, so the more detailed information or adevice the better. I just fell in love with my 64 Valiant and want to make it more badass. I may be in a little over my head.

Thanks.

What do you mean by choke rod for an electric choke?

The Lokar cable is a pretty simple install....it has been a few years since I've installed one but it comes with decent instructions.

What do you mean by choke rod for an electric choke? The Lokar cable is a pretty simple install....it has been a few years since I've installed one but it comes with decent instructions.

Sorry just read the above post referring to a Weber carb...Weber is a different animal. As long as there is attachment point for the kickdown cable to be pulled on the carb linkage, you should be OK to install the Lokar setup.

I refuse to get on the "it's sorta rare so you need to pay big" bandwagon, so I put a Lokar on my 318 Dart and like it.

The only gotcha might be that Lokar normally requires that you use their own bracket at the carb and on a V8 at least there is no way to retain the original throttle cable in that bracket. I went ahead and bought a Lokar throttle cable so now everything is fine.

I have the Carter two barrel with an electric choke and with clifford headers. So I need a different choke rod, and a lokar kick-down and throttle linkage? This might be obvious but I am an automotive novice, so the more detailed information or adevice the better. I just fell in love with my 64 Valiant and want to make it more badass. I may be in a little over my head. Thanks.

No... not quire.

I used the choke rod off the Holley 1920, bent it, and attached it to the carb to use to activate the stock lever. You'd have to turn the carter sideways to make that work or use a bellcrank. I already had a bellcrank on mine.

You just need the lokar. Slantsix.org also has everything you need in a write-up to supersix your slantsix.

-
Back