kick down questions

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
ok so awhile back I installed my trans and my B&M pro ratchet shifter.

while I was down there I removed my kick down bracket from the trans because I figured since I didn't have any of my kick down linkage anyhow ....I would just manually drop down a gear by hand with my shifter rather than doing so by mashing the gas.

( I have done this on many vehicles before but mostly GM and I think a few fords) and I had never had any problems with it.

however I was recently told here on fabo that doing this on a mopar is different and that it will burn my tranny up because the kick down on the TF trannys controls line pressure and so on.

I just wanted to get a few more opinions from others and make sure rather or not this is the case?

and why exactly this is the case in technical terms?

also......if this is the case.......where can I find the parts I need to run a kick down? all I currently have is the bracket itself that mounts to the kick down shaft on the transmission.

thank you in advance everyone.

It's purpose is throttle pressure signal or mechanical communication between engine and transmission and yes you need it. The term "kickdown" just confuses people.
A lokar cable setup is probably you best route if you dont have all the correct linkage pieces.

dang......almost every post you make you seem to know your stuff buddy lol hats off to you.

and thanks for replying so fast.

any idea which lokar set up I need and a link by chance?

I looked the lokar website up once before and got extremely confused and couldnt find anything I was looking for.

I've never needed those aftermarket parts so I haven't looked for it. The recommendation comes from seeing so many others satisfied with Lokar cable products.

Well thanks anyhow....Ill have to do some looking around and see what I can find.

in the mean time, if anyone else has anything to add or might know of a link to the parts I need.....or have the parts I need.

please chime in, thanks

Dude, go to the Transmission and Drivatrain section of the forums and do a search for Lokar Kickdown Cable. There are some excellent posts, with pictures, for both the Holley and Eddie carb setup. There's one there by user Prine that you should definitely read because he explains what parts you need for the setup.

Thanks for the heads up.

I actually just thought about running a search on it right before i read your post.

I forget we have a search option from time to time LOL.

I found a few really good threads on the lokar set ups awhile back ....hopfully I can find the ones I am thinking of again.

I've used the Lokar setup on two of my Dusters so far and I've happy with both installations. Simple and quick. Still adjusts using the basic method described in the FSM. Cheaper and easier than trying to piece together the factory stuff. Good deal.

use the cable setup off of a dodge truck, just modify the bracket a lil.

easy to do and WAY cheaper than a lokar or bouchlin setup.

and like the factory stuff...you just push the button to set it-theres a spring at the lever on the trans to pull it forward.

It's purpose is throttle pressure signal or mechanical communication between engine and transmission and yes you need it. The term "kickdown" just confuses people.
A lokar cable setup is probably you best route if you dont have all the correct linkage pieces.
X2 I have the Lokar for both tranny and throttle.

Glad to hear you are taking our Advice. That's a beauty you're building and I would hate to see a brand x smoked ya cause your tranny slips. If you decide against the lokar I have a set up on a 318 904 duster but it's a 2 bbl. Not sure that matters.

Thanks ......I wouldnt say its a "beauty" in its current state LOL more like "calico" LOL.

slow but sure though she is coming along.

sure glad you guys mentioned something about it to because I had no idea that there was a difference.

I always try to keep an open mind when people mention things like that and gather as much info as I can.

you never stop learning lol.

I think I might look into the lokar set up....has a nice clean look to it and appears to do a great job after seeing how many people here on fabo alone have had good words about them.

NOW....I just need to figure out what exactly I need and part numbers.....I need to know cable kits,brackets ,if I need to get the throttle cable too and all that other good stuff.

no real rush as I won't have the spare cash to do anything until after the holidays most likely anyhow .

Thanks again FABO.....I would rather spend the few extra bucks now than be changing out a smoke tranny down the road.....glad you guys had my back!

go to lokar site get # and talk to tech service they helped me out nicely then get part #s and try to locate on ebay i got a stainlees kd cable for 25 bucks so good luck and if you talk to lokar make sure you get all brackets for your intended purpose

use the cable setup off of a dodge truck, just modify the bracket a lil.

easy to do and WAY cheaper than a lokar or bouchlin setup.

and like the factory stuff...you just push the button to set it-theres a spring at the lever on the trans to pull it forward.
you wouldn't happen to know any of the truck info that you got the setup off of would you? i.e. 85 D100 360....

you wouldn't happen to know any of the truck info that you got the setup off of would you? i.e. 85 D100 360....

magnum series trucks, v6 or v8 I believe uses the same kick down cable, you just need to fiddle the bracket to work on the driverside of the carb, the rest bolts right up.

I hear with the exception of the bracket that the bouchlin is the same.

This is what I have on my 318/904 combo:

24" Throttle Cable
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-TC-1000HT/

904 Kickdown Kit
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...904HT &dds=1

Springs and bracket
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-SRK-4000/

Couple pics of what I got:
96z3nn.jpg

1zmcklg.jpg

This is the end of the kickdown cable, goes right on that little arm on the tranny...

k54bas.jpg

I was missing the carb to linkage rod and made one from pieces of a non adjustable rod and using a Lowes turnabuckle. It 's easily adjustable and cost me $1.69.:-D

-
Back