Kickdown linkage rod length (A904)

-

zackw

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Dart SL6/auto, and the other day I was surprised to find that my kickdown linkage isn't connected to the throttle at all! From diagrams I can tell there is supposed to be a rod between the kickdown linkage and throttle arm. I can make one pretty easily, but I'm not sure what length it's supposed to be.

Can anyone measure the length of this rod (hole to hole) on their car and let me know? I suspect the length might be the distance between both linkages at rest, but the kickdown linkage seems to be spring loaded so I can't say for sure. Luckily I haven't driven around too much like this.

20190527_081426.jpg

There are a few different styles of kick down linkages... You need to figure out which one that you need...

DSC07386 B.JPG

DSC07389 B.JPG

It is this rod here that I am missing. It seems like everything else is present or is that not right?

Notes_190527_094202_236_1.jpg

20190527_100549.jpg
What is shown here as "Rod 14-11-9" (on the left, there are two with this label) is the closest match that I've found. Still not sure how long it's supposed to be though.

It looks like the flat bar with slot is the part you need to make.
Perhaps @krazykuda could get you dimensions of both and you can see which works

I am not sure if it needs to be slotted or not. The "nub" on the kickdown arm appears to be the same kind of nub with the pin through it on the other end of the flat bar in krazykuda's pics. On the throttle end, there's a hole for a rod with a 90° bend to be held with clip, just like in the diagram.

Definitely need to figure out what configuration it is, but there's a dearth of pictures that show this online.

Aha, I found it in the Haynes manual, it is set up like I suspected. @krazykuda, have you got one of these types of rods? Or anyone else? Just need the measurements and I can make one myself I think. Another question I have is how strong of a spring to use. It looks like it shares a clip with the rod at the top, that's another missing piece.

20190527_102047.jpg

FYI, the slot is important. It allows the throttle to close should the TV (throttle valve) linkage bind. Basically, the TV linkage on the trans should be all the way back at wide open throttle, and all the way forward at closed throttle. It should start moving (via the slot) shortly after you start to open the throttle.

Basically, the TV linkage on the trans should be all the way back at wide open throttle, and all the way forward at closed throttle. It should start moving (via the slot) shortly after you start to open the throttle.

Ok, I understand. I think that is all I need to know to make something myself without initial measurements. The linkage has some available travel "forwards" (i.e. up) while it's disconnected like this, so I assume the spring in the diagram is to pull it fully upwards at closed throttle. Then the rod can push it down/backwards throughout the throttle travel.

I guess then, the length of the rod should be whatever the distance is between the two mounting points when the TV/kickdown linkage is fully forward, correct? Thanks.

Ok, I understand. I think that is all I need to know to make something myself without initial measurements. The linkage has some available travel "forwards" (i.e. up) while it's disconnected like this, so I assume the spring in the diagram is to pull it fully upwards at closed throttle. Then the rod can push it down/backwards throughout the throttle travel.

I guess then, the length of the rod should be whatever the distance is between the two mounting points when the TV/kickdown linkage is fully forward, correct? Thanks.
Yep, you got it. I am not familiar with the slant setup, but there should be some form of adjuster at one end of it as well.

I am not familiar with the slant setup, but there should be some form of adjuster at one end of it as well.
In the diagram from the Haynes manual, part #7 is labelled "slotted adjuster link." So I would guess the adjustment takes place there instead of the rod, which makes my life easier...

Well, I just happened to see a picture on facebook which gave me the perfect idea of just what to make. Here's the picture and the DIY linkage. Not super interesting, but thought I would share how relatively simple it is to make from scratch.

20190603_234810.jpg

20190603_231449.jpg

20190604_134610.jpg

The kickdown linkage attached to the manifold is free to travel upwards as far as mechanically possible, so I did the opposite and depressed the linkage all the way against the spring, then depressed the throttle all the way, and measured the distance hole-to-stud to get the dimensions.

Last edited:
-
Back