kickdown linkage

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
I'm having problems getting the kickdown in the right place. In order for the tranny to build pressure before shifting the rod is so long I can't get full throttle. It does work when floored (adjusted to get full throttle), but shifts very early at low throttle. I'm using a holley spread bore carb on the 360 Q-jet manifold. Any ideas?
Thanks and God Bless Bruce
Lone Star shootout was partially rained out but still lots of cool mopars.

sounds like a stock Mopar,
LOL Stock 2bbl, on my 1964 Valiant, I couldn't even tell when it shifted
to second, its still close to that.

Even now, with the 4bbl, and a bolt in the kickdown,
to make it kickdown, faster;
its almost like its, 1st, and at 5 mph, 2nd, and at 7 mph 3rd,
when at less than 2/3rds throttle.

My 1981 Imperial, shifts so easy,
same deal.
Its Stock for sure, still, EFI.

I would suggest you go to the (Transmiisions & Drivetrain) section. We had a lot of issues on this topic. A matter of fact, I got mine working great now. Take a look at a few pages back.

Caveman is right. Stockers are like this alot of the times.

The thing I'd check first though since you have a non stock type carb is where does the linkage hookup. I found on my 750 Holley I had to hook up the throttle linkage lower on the carb. than the trans. linkage or it wouldn't allow full throttle when the trans. was adjusted right.

If the throttle linkage is ok on yours the following mod can be done to the trans.

If you drop the trans. pan you can adjust the throttle pressure valve (kickdown) stop to hold it in a little more at idle and that will help alot so it don't shift into gear at such a low speed and best part of this mod is it don't affect the high speed at all. You just have to be careful not to go too far or it will cause it to delay too long then you have the opposite problem you have now.

-
Back