Kickdown linkage

-

Sinister.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not but...
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger
318 w/ a 727 tranny

problem, can't find kickdown linkage that will work.
I have tried modifying(bending) the one i have and I've got it to where it will fit and shift but it shifts high and downshifts high.

I would kind of like to stay with the linkage type rather than go to a cable system.
Anybody know where I can get one that should work for this car?
Or does anybody have pictures of one that should work, so I can compare it to mine.

Thanks

So it winds up to far before it shifts and as you slow down it down shifts
real fast and to soon ?
If so it sounds like it is to long. Some one will jump in here and help that can help, But if I am reading you right you can shorten it easier then lengthen it.
But you should wait on a tec to chime in.

I don't think I welcomed you to this great site yet.
Glad to have you aboard Sinister.:-D

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not but...
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger
318 w/ a 727 tranny

problem, can't find kickdown linkage that will work.
I have tried modifying(bending) the one i have and I've got it to where it will fit and shift but it shifts high and downshifts high.

I would kind of like to stay with the linkage type rather than go to a cable system.
Anybody know where I can get one that should work for this car?
Or does anybody have pictures of one that should work, so I can compare it to mine.

Thanks

It sounds like you`ve got a little too much line pressure. Try setting it up so that the kickdown linkage does not push the transmission lever back as much in relationship with the throttle opening.

Well I dont have a tack and my speedometer is inaccurate, but it shifts to 2nd at 25, and 3rd at 43, then down shifts to second at 35. but that is by what my speedometer says, not my actual speed.

Also, Thanks for the replys and welcoming
Longgone, this is kind of what I thought but I didn't want to fiddle with it to much without somebody elses opinion, i'll probably give it a try tonight

yes it is holding the kick down linkage to far back and is just a bit to long.
The slid hole in your kick down rod up by the carb can be drilled out to make it move forward some, Make sure it is not hiting anything, But it sounds like the presure valve arm at the transmission is being held to far back just a bit. Make sure you have a soft return spring so the kick down linkage can return back to drive location.
I will see if I can get a picture to day to help you out.

Alright I moved the rod forward and it shifts much better now.
The new problem is that it doesn't return to idle.
I assume the rod is to tight and holding the throttle.
The next thing I think I am going to try is bending the top of the rod down because the way it sits in the erm... Bell crank?... The place where the top of the kickdown linkage bolts to... it sits in it at a weird angle so that might be binding it up.

Welcome, I haven't been around lately....
As others have stated a bit of head-banging and you will find the correct adjustments. I bet I was close to beating things up before everything lined up correctly for me. Once done and setup correctly.....it seems EZ the next time.

still having problems because I can't get it to fit quite right. I am really considering going to cable kickdown, any good brands, how hard is it to set up?

Picture004.jpg

I'm going to put in a tach in the next couple of days so I can a more accurate reading of where it shifts

I think that by moving the bolt thats in the kickdown "slider" back a bit(toward firewall) will fix the idle issue and kickdown timing.

Sinister ,was your car originally equipped with the Holley or have you switched over from a Carter? It looks like the stud that the kickdown slide/throttle cable attaches to is too far forward. I think you need to buy an adapter (about $12.00) for the acccelerator linkage on that Holley. It will enable you to move that stud rearward and set up the linkage properly with infinitely more adjustment.

Someone said something about a cable? Where did you get it or how did you make it? My 72 swinger doesn't have anything for kickdown linkage and I want to do a cable seems how I have a cable floor shift

-
Back