Kickdown..one way or the other??

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
I thought I had things worked out however it seems I can't get both.
A while back, I had "excellent" shifts but no good kickdown or "powerpass". I found that I wasn't getting WOT due to my kickdown adjustment was too far forward not allowing the WOT. (kickdown throttle lever was right back however). So I held the throttle WO and adjusted the rod so the throttle lever on the trans was right fully back (enguaged). I now have good kickdown or powerpass, however I'm getting slippage/hesatation between 2-3 (auto or manual shifting) Almost sounds like missing a gear.

The thing I also noticed, is to gain my acheive kickdown, the throttle pin now sits almost in the middle of the rod slot. This means that I'm "more then likely" at 60% throttle before the throttle lever even moves.

Now if I adjust the slot on the rod forward just touching the pin "while throttle fully closed" I will not be able to get WOT again. A

I have all ready moved the throttle pin (so the Accelrator can get fully closed to WOT) And it has the kickdown adaptor. I know many will tell me to go to the cable, but first I would like to know if there a fix for this.

Anyone? Thanks Guys...(here's a pic) of the rod at rest, throttle closed.

DSCF0001.JPG

Kickdown.jpg

Update:
I was informed to move my kickdown rod to where my accelerator is. It looks like it may line up and work but I will have to work on or get a longer accel cable.

yes your kickdown should be on the same rod as the throttle cable. also, if you have the threaded adjustable k/d linkage back by the bellcrank, adjust that so the little holes are lined up with a drill bit and you have to just move the rod up to put it on the ballstud.

redfastback said:
yes your kickdown should be on the same rod as the throttle cable. also, if you have the threaded adjustable k/d linkage back by the bellcrank, adjust that so the little holes are lined up with a drill bit and you have to just move the rod up to put it on the ballstud.

Thanks redfastback, I'm not sure if the lining up the bellcrank with (drill bit) thing will work, I had to add an extention to the rod when changing manifold and carb. I think if I line it up first the rod will not reach my carb.....but I will try it again. :thumblef:

OK guys thanks, Got it worked out. FYI, I had to swap my cable/kickdown around but prior to that I had to cut off that (bronze bent tag) by the large bolt in pic so the kickdown would be able to freely move back and forth. Bloody directions didn't say anything about doing that. :thumblef:

Something fixed...have a beer :drinkers:

-
Back