kickdown position on carb

-

robs 67plymouth

motown graffiti crusier
Reaction score
was just wondering when i full throttle the carb the kickdown should be all the way back but when i let go of throttle and every thing is in place i am still pulling on my kickdown do i need an adaptor for this carb

P8230061 [].JPG

If your kick down is to far forward it will shift way to fast,1,2,3, and the kick down "pressure and flow valve" will not go in to kick down.
Then you will have low fluid pressure on the clutches when under a loud, Not good :read2:
can you move your kick down linkage with your fingers back and forth easy ?
take all the forward pressure off the kick down on your trans under the car and tell us how far forward it moves. You can burn up a trans with it in the wrong position. We have better tec's that will jump in and help and let me know if I am mistaken.:-D

it seems like the bottom lever on carb where cable hooks up does not move very far not like the throttle part eddy #1806 and yes it moves freely i do have a spring on the tranny lever it seems like everything is right

After looking at your kick down it don't look right, or I am not updated on your linkage 8)
I am use to seeing a solid kick down rod, Not a cable.
It seems to me the kick down pressure valve is moving to fast and to much.
We have some trans tec's here that will jump in

Welcome to this great site

When you put it in drive , What rpm does it change out at in normal driving?

or should it be like this in that position for full travel rough sketch it verys on the rpms never the same drive is a little bit tricky to get into i do notice when i first drive it with a little throttle goes fine when i romp from stop, it cant find sec until i let off throttle

P8230061 [].JPG

I have the same setup on my big block Dart. Not sure why you have a spring on the transmission lever. The lever should return to the "normal position" from internal pressure when the carb. is at idle. If the lever doesn't offer resistance when you push it towards the rear of the car, you need to fix this first. If this is okay,adjust the cable,so that at idle, you feel slight pressure from the transmission. Road test and make up or down adjustments from there.

THE LEVER ARM is to short for your pasing gear to work properly with a cable.They make an extenshion bracket for hollys but i dont know if it will work on your carb. I bought mine at sumit.The distance from the center of the carb shaft to the trans cable needs to be the same as it is for the throughtle cable to give you enough travel for the trans to work properly.

after looking at your pitcher i am reasonably shure that bracket will work on your carb. they also have them at mancini.

holly bracket#hly-20-7 or edelbrock edl1481 Im not shure if the edelbrock is the right one one for your aplication you would have to check. it might be the right thing for your carb.these are in the sumit catalog.

-
Back