kicking tranny

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
when i start the car up and let it warm up before i take it for a drive, i put it into gear and ither kicks hard into drive or kicks hard into reverse. why does it do this? how do i fix it? and it still does it , when i go to the store come out and back out. jsut feels like its not a good thing

What are your rpm's set at for idle? If your idle is set too high it will have a pretty harsh engagement. Should be around 800 rpm at idle for a stock to mild performance engine.

maybe a sticking spool valve in the valve body, how is the fluid looking, last serviced when?

Are the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts ok or too harsh as well, or sliping?

i do need to check fluid havent checked since i bought it.. idel is at like 900-1000 but i cant adjsut it becasue the screw is all the way out and i the 2 tuning screws are set so that i get max vaccum so

i dont know what to do

Just remember to check the fluid with the tranny warmmed up and in nuteral with the wheels chocked or the ebrake on. Im still guessing that your U-joints are shot. Have you ever checked them or greased them?
What carb are you running on this motor?

The best way to fix it would be to replace it with a 4speed.....:headbang:

i do need to check fluid havent checked since i bought it.. idel is at like 900-1000 but i cant adjsut it becasue the screw is all the way out and i the 2 tuning screws are set so that i get max vaccum so

i dont know what to do

That idle is a little high. You might have a vacuum leak. Check you carb mount gasket or see if there are any open vacuum ports.

its the stock carter avs...
the idle goes higher in N then in Park
there are no vac leaks im getting 22 psi of vac thers no leakes

its the stock carter avs...
the idle goes higher in N then in Park
there are no vac leaks im getting 22 psi of vac thers no leakes

Are you sure the back barrels are closed? Should be able to idle it down to nothing with the idle screw.

I had a trans in a gm once that did the same thing. It ended up being i changed the trans filter and added fresh clean fluid. Maybe try that not sure if thats it but if you havent done it yet and you are not sure how long its been since its been done it couldnt hurt anyway by the way if you do it go with the trans filter kit from napa they have the best trans gasket i have ever used its not cork it is like a rubber type gasket no leaks period. justin

the idle screw is all the way out

if you have 22 inches if vacuum, you may have a little too much timing in my opinion. the average for a stock engine is 17-22 inches, but rarely have i seen it always at 22. what is the timing set at? did you set it with the vacuum advance plugged? is it on the left or right of the pcv inlet on the front of the carb?

i havent touched anything since i bought it, really and i dont have a timing light YET but some think that i have a shift kit in it

It sounds like this car has lacked any standard matenance and it can use a good once over.
The first thing I would do is check/change all the fluids/filters and check/grease your U-joints (2 of the most neglected and most simple to service car parts in my opinion).
66dartman is right you may have a leak even if you think you don't. Tighten the carb mounting bolts and all of the flathead screws that hold your carb togeather (another thing guys forget to do), do the same with the intake bolts. It's free to do, won't take that long, only takes a screwdriver 1/2 inch and 9/16 wrench and atleast you will know that everything is good and tight.
I don't wanna sound like a broken record but I have seen and experienced more than one U-joint "shift kit".
If you haven't touched anything since you got the car, and it seems like you have had it for a little while, more than likely it needs a little work.

Also, you don't need a timing light to set your timing. You can do it by ear,feel, and smell pretty easy if you have to.

-
Back