Killing surface rust

-

d fark

Reaction score
I need to redo my 73 duster trunk before it gets worse. Just surface rust. What do you recommend for priming and/or killing the rust before painting? Also the seam sealer is pealing off. Can you purchase that product through the aftermarket?

I use por-15 they have a product that will let you seal the rusted area and still put primer and paint over it. If you get the original formula you will be hating life trying to scuff it up to put primer on it and make it stick. It took me about 20 hours to scuff the floors in my 67 barracuda but at the time they didn't have the other formula yet. Also they say you can just paint it over the rusted area but i always sanded the metal first to make it as smooth as possible it just looks better to me.

why not media blast it to bare metal and start with a perfect surface on your body? If you look at all the time you are going to spend getting ride of surface rust it only makes sense. JMO

My brother says that you can't get rid of rust, just slow it down.

Media blast it as stated above or replace the panel if it is too bad.

If it's just the outside surface, sand it until gone then use OSPHO. Recommended by a service tech at Boeing. I used it and it is great. Easy to paint over.

If you're talking about just surface rust on your trunk floor, hit it with some muriatic acid, rinse, allow to day completely, then Rustoleum.

I've been using a product called Gem for years on everything- cars, tractors, implements, fence posts. It's worked real well, turns the rust black like some of the other products do. I wire wheel the heck out of the area first, blow it off, then wipe it down with some type of thinner or degreaser. Good luck!

If you're talking about just surface rust on your trunk floor, hit it with some muriatic acid, rinse, allow to day completely, then Rustoleum.

Muriatic acid, that's good stuff. Make sure you have a good set of rubber gloves when working with it. It will strip the oils out of your skin, but boy does it work good.....

Muriatic acid, that's good stuff. Make sure you have a good set of rubber gloves when working with it. It will strip the oils out of your skin, but boy does it work good.....

Take caution to neutralize any acid (rust converter in a can from the parts store or using an acid solution) completely before painting lots of water, not one little damp rag. Acids can have strange reactions with primers and paint.

can't tell if you are talking about a body panel or the trunk floor, but if the floor, I use Rustbullet http://www.rustbullet.com/ (similar to POR-15 but less $$$).

Just knock down the rust and brush/roll/spray on the rustbullet. My entire floor pan has it inside and out.

Acid!!!. I used it in the 70's. One hit and you can make more than rust disappear. You could also make your paint appear in different color's.

I met my 120 lb. wife while I was getting rid of my rust. Some times things are not what they seem while using it. And the results are not as planned. So be careful.

Attachments

• ugly.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 185
Acid!!!. I used it in the 70's. One hit and you can make more than rust disappear. You could also make your paint appear in different color's.

I met my 120 lb. wife while I was getting rid of my rust. Some times things are not what they seem while using it. And the results are not as planned. So be careful.

Oh my, I will be careful with the acid. :shock: Yes I am talking about the trunk floor and have used POR15 on frames and whatnot. Good to know there are choices.

-
Back