kind of surprised me....

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I used to order exhaust y pipes from the auto parts stores and install them myself. It used to be if you would tell them you had a "72 340 duster", you could buy the "drop pipes" from the manifolds and go dual exhaust from there. I was surprised that I cannot get a Y pipe or drop pipes for a duster from on line shopping. I tried the auto parts stores, ebay, amazon, Summit, and other sites. Even custom shops! Boy, that used to be a nice thing, buying pre-fit pipes from the manifolds to the floor boards. Jegs and summit offer "header back" systems, and this seems to be popular. I did find one system that is manifold to tail pipe (mufflers included) for a little over 400 (with shipping). It's for a 74 360 duster. I thought if I could buy the drop pipes (manifold to floor boards), I could buy the 200 dollar jegs dual exhaust system.

Pretty much a thing of the past. I remember when you could walk into a good mom and pop parts store and buy that stuff. Forget it now.

Pretty much a thing of the past. I remember when you could walk into a good mom and pop parts store and buy that stuff. Forget it now.

This, hands down. I miss OEM muscle car parts availability, at a normal parts house.

its a sad fkn day when I have to special order a fuel pump, a valley pan , valve cover gaskets instead of taking a 5 minute ride and picking them up instead of waiting 3 days

I miss having somebody who has ever turned a wrench at our parts stores.

I went to our local O'Reillys the other day and asked the MANAGER about a specific size Holley power valve. He did not know what that was. I am not joking. I couldn't believe it.

I went to our local O'Reillys the other day and asked the MANAGER about a specific size Holley power valve. He did not know what that was. I am not joking. I couldn't believe it.

That's pathetic. I was the last "car guy" at the Car Quest I worked at, before they fired me for taking the 383 they gave me. Learned the lesson about having a receipt for anything, even if it's free, from an employer. The new manager I had couldn't look up the right part to save his life. I'd look it up at the same time and tell him what part the customer needed. I miss the job, but not the idiots.

I called the same O'Reilly's and spoke to a different person who argued with me that a water neck didn't exist for my vehicle because it wasn't listed in his computer. When I asked him to look up water outlet instead, all he could find was a gasket. He told me he'd never heard of a water neck or a water outlet, and I quote " . . .and I work in an auto parts store, sir."
Reckon I'll just go to White's in Macon next time.

I called the same O'Reilly's and spoke to a different person who argued with me that a water neck didn't exist for my vehicle because it wasn't listed in his computer. When I asked him to look up water outlet instead, all he could find was a gasket. He told me he'd never heard of a water neck or a water outlet, and I quote " . . .and I work in an auto parts store, sir."
Reckon I'll just go to White's in Macon next time.

You've never used Jackson Brothers in Gray? They are good.

its a sad fkn day when I have to special order a fuel pump, a valley pan , valve cover gaskets instead of taking a 5 minute ride and picking them up instead of waiting 3 days

When I had my 71 d100 with a slant you had to wait a week for an air filer.
Rebuilding the Duster I orewr parts weeks before I need them.

They are like White Brothers without the drive to Macon.

there is a girl that works at my local parts store and i will only deal with her she knows where every part is what its for it also helps that she is a licensed mechanic .

-
Back