Kinda goes with fave MOPAR Magazines...

-

68cu440da

Reaction score
I have a research library [see pic(s) at end] that I am setting up an Access 2007 database file for and I need some help with dates.... I need first issue and final issue dates for Autobuff, High Perf MOPAR, and Street Machine, and, first issue dates for MOPAR Action, MOPAR Muscle. The magazine rack in the pic is 6 issues wide X 23yrs tall and the columns L to R are labeled CC, HR, PHR, CC, HR, PHR. It starts at 1968 in the lower left, up, across and down to 2013. The magazines on top are Auto buff, MOPAR Action, MOPAR Muscle, and High Perf MOPAR...I have more but they haven't been sorted and inspected yet.

My database includes article titles, tips of interest, things of interest, starting page, and which magazine/yr/mon they're in. After the first 100 magazines or so I couldn't remember where the info was and have spent aLOT of time looking for that specific item. Another thing this will help with is keeping track of issues that need replacing because of bad covers and/or missing pages. I finally found some affordable plastic sleeves and have put most of my issues in them but more still need to be inserted.

I bought most of these either outright or subscription...have been a subscriber to CC, HR, & PHR for many years and MA & MM for only 3 or 4, possibly 5. I've had several people donate mag's because they couldn't bear to see them just get thrown out. I used to let people come look at'em and take'em up to the copier's, but, you know, there's ALways some A--HOLE(S) that need to ruin it for everybody - Yup, some 'zines didn't return. Sooo, I supply light, a place to sit, maybe sumpm t'drink and people can come peruse to their heart's content, but, the magazine(s) don't leave the premises.

Anyway, if somebody(s) can help with those dates, I'd be appreciative...

Let's see if the pics'll fit...

MagRack1b.jpg

MagRack2b.jpg

Wow! I'm impressed! Mainly because you are doing something which I've dreamed of doing for years. I have a huge amount of magazines that I hope to be able to organize someday. And building a database like you've described would be a dream come true.
I like to refer back to the older issues also but I tend to get sidetracked when I'm looking for something specific. :read2:
I also have gotten very picky about loaning them out. As you said, they don't seem to return.
Dallas

Wow! I'm impressed! Mainly because you are doing something which I've dreamed of doing for years. I have a huge amount of magazines that I hope to be able to organize someday. And building a database like you've described would be a dream come true.
I like to refer back to the older issues also but I tend to get sidetracked when I'm looking for something specific. :read2:
I also have gotten very picky about loaning them out. As you said, they don't seem to return.
Dallas

Well, it became a case of self-defense....I couldn't afford to buy everybody a magazine or 2.

The problem with the database is that there's so much info to input, I don't know if I have enough time left to do it!!! I picked the 2007 version 'cause it allows pics to be 'attached' to a record. That way, if somebody wants to go buy the 'zine, they'll have a reference of the cover shot. If you've ever gone looking for a specific mon/yr/mag title, you know how frustrating it is to try to find where they hid the date on the cover!!! Like, "HEY - just pick ONE spot and go for it!!" I don't have every issue so not all of them will be represented, the database will ONLY consist of stuff that I physically have & can verify.

I am currently getting the Auotbuff, Str. Machine, MOPAR Action & Muscle, placed into their own magazine file holders - some are the fold up cardboard kind, and the others are some nice plastic ones a guy had $100 for 60. Still need to get a few more, these'll give me a good start for the moment.

Anyway, over the years have picked up several things besides the magazines - finally found an 18spline I could afford. It has to go to a tranny shop to have the A-body tailshaft/housing swapped from my original shortshaft. I sold the innards from my 440 in order to help pay for the arm & pistons, etc., from 440source - going to 40-over, 4.15 stroke with BME alum rods (found some used 6.76 ones, sent'em in had'em checked & "re-furb'd" at BME)...didn't figure that 23 spline'ud last long behind that. I have 2 consoles - one's an NOS OEM woodgrain never been installed. Problem is my car evidently came without one cause the mounting brackets aren't there...I have the mounts, no dimensions on where they go!! I thought all the "S" 'cudas came with consoles 'cause I've never seen one without - evidently I was wrong.

Attached are a couple shots...my original '68 340S the way it arrived, and, after some bodywork. A friend of mine showed me how to do some stuff and I've tried to do everything else I know how to do, but, the welding seems to be escaping me. I have both gas & arc and just recently picked up a wire feed... I've had this critter for SEVeral years and have finally gotten a house with a garage again - had one when I was married, but, divorce can cause other kinds of separation.

I thought I was going to get it on the road this year, but, have been busy trying to get my mom's affairs "settled"...paid her property taxes and looks like I'm gonna be paying her car payments 'til the house sells. She lives in a retirement center and has these grand illusions of going home again...she's 83 this year and that ain't gonna happen - too many physical probs.

So, I'm assuming you'd be interested in the program when it gets finished?

Greg

AsBought.jpg

Bodywork1_B.jpg

When I was in high school (many years ago) the school had a file system of some sort that you could look up articles that were printed in magazines. I can't remember the details now but it consisted of cards that were stored in drawers in a big filing cabinet system. Subjects were listed by alphabetical order and the cards listed the name of the magazines and the dates of the issues that articles on a particular subject appeared in. It was a fairly comprehensive system and I remember using it quite a bit when I was doing research. I don't know how often it was updated or where the school purchased it or even the name of the system. I find it hard to believe in the 'information age' we now live in that there isn't something similar you could access on the web. Sounds like you are making progress on your own system, though. And, if I'm smart enough to use it I might be interested in your program.

I might be able to help out with the console bracket locations. I have a floor section with the brackets I cut out of a '69. If I can remember to take a couple of pics I'll post them for you.

I'm not that great of a welder but I can do decent with a wire feed so you should be able to also.

I sympathise with you concerning your Mom. Mine is 81 and has dementia. She stayed at home alone for 6 months after my Dad passed away in Oct. '08. I couldn't get her to leave the house even though she couldn't really take care of herself. So I was going over there 2-3 times a day to check on her, fixing her meals, etc. Hard to do that and run a business, too. My sister finally convinced her to come for a 'visit' and she finally decided she couldn't take care of herself. We listed the farm and sold it before we were prepared to have an estate sale so now there's a 60+ year accumulation of my parent's stuff in my nice 40'x72' garage.

Dallas

-
Back