Knock Sensor

-

stroker_valiant

Reaction score
A guy was telling me about an MSD knock sensor for my small block. Since i'll be running 11-11.5cr on pump gas, would it be a wise investment?
How do they install?
Are they actually effective, or a waste of money?
Does anybody here have any experience with them?

Here is a link to one on Summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8964/

I vote waste of money. If your engine is detonating, you will hear it and feel it. No sensor needed. 11:1 with aluminum heads (?) should do alright on 93 octane I would think.

don't know new cars have them but then again they can change there timing automatically.

I vote waste of money. If your engine is detonating, you will hear it and feel it. No sensor needed. 11:1 with aluminum heads (?) should do alright on 93 octane I would think.

I agree. And they give so many false signals that they aren't accurte by any means. 11:1 on 93 is the limit though and you need to know the quality of the fuel. The stuff from some of the stations gets it octane with a healthy dose of alcohol and it ain't the same as good 93 octane gas. Sunoco Ultra 94 is good if you can get it. Of the 4 Sunoco stations in my town only 1 has Ultra 94 now. The rest stopped carrying it and switched their pumps to diesel.

Larry

Yeah, I was kinda thinkin waste of money. The car is going to be so loud I dont know if i'll be able to hear it detonat though, But i'll fell a lose of power.

They will pick up valve clatter and many other things in your engine. To
be honest, not really suited for our cars.

unless your running boost i wouldnt buy it .........if your really concerned just buy a wideband

-
Back