Knurled Crank Snout???

-

wolfhammer

Reaction score
Ok guys, I just picked up an RV 360 and upon inspection I found that the crank snout is knurled. I never saw this before, is this a 360 thing? Thanks in advance.
387206525_1729957407431686_3197272401932093665_n.jpg

The snout was probably damaged in the past and they wanted to save the crank. In order to save the crank a machine shop knurled the snout.

The snout needed to be resized, knurling displaces metal making it larger so it can be re turned or reground.

I'm digging the nylon cam gear.... Not! Must be a low milage engine, based on the cam gear being so not broke up yet.

The balancer would have been on, holding back 99% of the leak, but I agree, how did it not leak? Did the balancer smash enough of the knurls to act like a non-knurled snout enough to not leak?

This looks troubling?

Screenshot_20231009-125812.png

I'm interested if the crank sprocket can slide off the crank?

I have a good story, some will laugh and some will say O My God. 35 years ago, I had a 318 built using some used 340 parts and other new parts. A cousin of mine was a Chevy guy, that was into stock car racing, the circle dirt type. He decided to start using 340's, he did everything half assed. After he blew up no less than 3 340's he gave up. He offered me his leftover parts, 3 cranks, a couple sets of rods. I wanted this 318 to be a heavy duty engine. I bought new forged .030 over pistons from Ed Hambur Iger, remember him? So I used the new pistons one set of the rods that my builder reconditioned and one of the 340 crank that I got. Everything else was new. Things were fine for about 15,000 miles. It was time for a tuneup and I couldn't find the timing mark on the damper. I went back to my engine builder, he's a good Mopar guy. He concluded that the outer ring had slipped on the hub. I proceded to tear it apart, removed the crank bolt, and the damper was easily pulled off by hand. My cousin had apparently clearenced the crank snout so he could remove it easily. It had worn the keyway in the balancer to about an inch and a half, there were no metal filings, shavings-nothing. What to do, everybody told me I had to get another crank, completely disassemble and reassemble. This was my daily driver. I went down to my local Chrysler dealer, there was an old mechanic that had worked there, he had opened his own shop. I went down and ask him what to do. His advice was to hand knurl the crank snout with a sharp center punch, I did, it wasn't pretty, but I got 100,000 miles on the engine, sold the car, got the engine back, I plan on using it again. Sorry about the long post.Should be worth a laugh for some og you.

-
Back