KZ1000 to San Diego, or 47 yr old Guy on a 36 yr Old Bike

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Horse is packed and ready to ride. San Diego is my destination and I am feeling good. This time of year is generally dry, bike is running well and I have a destination in mind...

Attachments

• IMG_1362.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 110
Trip Update 1: Ride to Green River was great up until I passed Glenwood Springs. A slow drizzle soon turned into a driving rain. The new jacket did great and kept my torso completely dry, but by the time I made it to Green River, UT, my butt down was completey soaked and man, it was cold too. Took a hot shower and found out there was no soap! WTF! Hotel 6 sucks. Bike was filthy too and there was some kind of mudslide over I-70 west of Rifle. Riding on mud covered asphalt/concrete in a driving rain on a 550 pound bike with sport touring tires @ 65-75 mph ranks right up there in the pucker factor. The following day, after checking all the radar maps, talking to other people, weighing every factor, watching the flooding in Vegas on the tube, I made my decision... Press on!

Question, was this for a gal, or just for the Black Sabbath tickets....

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 130
Well.... all packed, chain is lubed, oil is checked, I have a new seat on the bike, a new armored jacket, a high quality helmet plus the Dogs are at the doggie hotel. Cleaned up the helmet visor, had my last cup of java, finishing my cig and I'm ready to roll.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgT9zGkiLig"]Incubus - Drive - YouTube[/ame]

Joe Esterl

August 26

Trip Update 2: As I said in my first update I decided to press on so.... Filled up the tank and although is was bad gloomy, I figured I could ride could ride on out of it. First thing I see outside of Green River is a sign that says "No Service for 100 Miles". Damn glad I filled up.... Wasn't bad for the first 20 miles until it started raining again. It just so happened I was riding through the Goblin Valley State Park, how appropriate. I kept thinking of the Goblin that was attacking the in plane in the old Twilight Zone episode and wondering if they could be tearing my engine apart in the middle of nowhere, leaving me stranded and at the will of stone dragons and creatures of the red sand... And then another thought whisked through my head, "What would I do if I saw the coyote and the roadrunner run across the road?" I busted out laughing in my helmet.

Trip Update 3: After the trails of the previous day and following morning, I really needed a break. Right about the time I turned off on to I-15 and the road started to drop in elevation, the sun and air decided to give me a break. The rain stopped, the sun dropped it's veil and rewarded me with it's atmospheric smile, and I was warm and dry again. I smiled back at the sun. So, in conclusion, I made it to my next goal, only to find this sculpture on the sidewalk titled "The Wild One". Boulder NV.

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 111
So anyone calls me out? Come see me.... I are what I are, what are you? I have much more to share...

"RaniDart70] 12:31 am: he is a gun toting, alcoholic, woman hater ...i dont need friends like that anyway
[RaniDart70] 12:29 am: absolutely not .....a mean member will be there and im not going to go and be fake like nothing ever happened ......i never heard an apology
[RaniDart70] 12:32 am: you know who ....and his disciples try and act nothing ever happened ....they can kiss my a$$ too"

All I asked was a pic of you with hands on your car, and I'd publicly apologize. Haven't seen it yet. I have no interest in your looks, wear a parka.

BTW, I have literally tens of women back in Chi Town that will tell you straight out what a gentleman I am. Challenge? I got it.

Trip Update 4: Ah the desert, sun beaten and shadless. Earth's crust that Mother sun has baked for endless millenia so that nary a thing can grow..... I stand smoking a cig and I feel just a tickle on my arm and thinking "fly" I swat only to realize it's sweat running down my arm. This is a deadly place, yet life continues to exist despite the hardship, it's both frightening and facinating. I crush out my smoke and suit up fast, I need the air rushing through my jacket NOW! Fast forward to my next stop, palm trees and ocean! It's so different from where I have been... It's a place of some sophistication and I feel a bit out of place after UT and NV. I can imagine how a mountain man must've felt when coming into town after the freezing winter to re-supply. Crap! Can't find my razor... I hope they don't catch me and put me in the zoo for all to gawk at... "Yes, there it is, a creature from another wild place. Far inland to the sea he comes, wanting what? We don't know but figured we'd best stop him all the same."

-
Back