LA 360 used cam new lifters break in procedure

-

CHARLES FEARNEYHOUGH

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a cam that has already been used and new lifters. What is the break in process for this type of install. I know the cam is perfect as it is my cam and I bought it new and installed it years back. I removed it and replaced it with a cam that produced torque at a lower RPM due to the fact I was using a 904 lockup transmission at the time. (another story) Recently I found and rebuilt a 76-77 non lockup 904 that works with a HP 3000 stall convertor I have. It's now in the car and works great. Hence, the xe274H cam is well suited for this. BTW, anyone interested in a 1979 lockup 904? Works OK, kick down works but it needs a rebuild.

Same as new cam and new lifters. Soon as it fires, 2500 plus RPM varying from 2500 to 3500. I go 4000, but whenever I say that people start foaming at the mouth scared. It's all about splash lube to the cam and you ain't gonna get that at 1500. lol

Thank you R3! You know, I was born on a Monday but not last Monday too! Hee hee Had to look it up. I'll be pulling the inner spring from the valves. I spent several months in Meldrim, GA optimizing what is now the Interfor Lumber Mill. Learned what a low country boil was and make them now in the NorthWest, delicious!

Charles; put a thin layer of camshaft lube on the cam lobes and the bottom of the lifters. That should keep things lubed for a while.

Rusty; Take one of those paint mixers [~ 3'' diameter] that you put in an electric drill. Dip it in a can of paint, remove it from the can, and wind it up to 1500 RPM. This should duplicate a crankshaft spewing oil. Report back with your results.

-
Back